Anybody using a respirator when spraying SH based house wash? I got a cloud in the face a few days ago on a windy day and my lungs burned for a day and throat is still sore. I’m trying to figure out the proper one to use to handle chlorine mist but breathing that poison again isn’t an option.

Al the time, always, Never not. Plus safety glasses, boonie hat and rubber gloves.

3M Particulate Respirator 8576, P95, with Nuisance Level Acid Gas Relief (Pack of 10): Industrial & Scientific

1 Like

At Home Depot I have purchased double cartridge respirators rated specifically for chlorine vapors. That is imperative.
I cleaned a roof for a lady that told me the last guy that cleaned her roof belonged to her church and that was how she knew him.
But anyway, he never cleaned it again because the jughead never wore a respirator and he had to get a double lung transplant. You will
get asthma/copd if you inhale chlorine vapors.
Chlorine works due the chemical gradient involving the salt. It will suck the water out of any permeable membrane. I.e. plants, mold, mucous membranes (of your lungs),etc.
Good luck, Shane

I have been using these

Anybody using something else better? I do mostly residential low pressure house washes and not much else. I have a cartridge respirator but I only use it when in an enclosed area like a horse barn I did.

This drives me crazy! My youngest son has cystic fibrosis and he’s always wanting to tag along with us Being his lungs are already in jeopardy due to his disease, I worry constantly about him being around the SH however, his doctor and my wife feel that it’s no different than being in a pool. I disagree because I cam feel the effects of the SH on my lungs let alone what his must going through …I personally don’t want him anywhere around it because I don’t even wanna take the chamce of hurting his lungs in any way.

1 Like

I use the masks Steve posted. You can get them super cheap at They’re obviously not as good as the chlorine-specific filters you can get in a full and/or partial face mask, but they do a good job of stopping you from inhaling mist during normal house washing.

I don’t do roofs, but if I ever did I’d be wearing a full-on respirator.

1 Like

For small particulate / mist like you said in unenclosed areas those should be OK. For roof cleaning, specially in hot weather that is not breezy, You really should use a double cartridge respirator rated for Chlorine vapor.
Good luck,

1 Like

I think you’re on the right track. I have a hot tub and the chlorine level is super low 0.3 - 0.6 ppm compared to SH that’s poured or misted through application.

1 Like

Hey Steve,
I am new to the pressure washing world and have been reading every topic I can to get a grasp on things in my neck of the woods here in Texas, However, I haven’t commented much on topics yet, but this particular Topic I think is one of the most important if not THE most important topic that should be discussed more often in my opinion. Our Health Should be the most important factor in this line of work. Doesn’t matter what chemicals we use, or what facet of cleaning we are doing, Chemicals or no chemicals, The surface of what we are cleaning in its self whether, Oil Stains, Dirt, Concrete, etc… The pressure cleaning alone creates microscopic toxins that are floating in the cloud that we create as steam, vapor, or as a gas that we breathe in and out daily. I would Never pressure wash anything without a full face respirator. I have seen too much for anyone to persuade me differently. Wash on my friends. :wink:

1 Like

I always wash houses and roofs with a 3m 6000 series half face mask with the pink filters. Rated for lead and mold remediation. You can get them at Home Depot, but online is much cheaper. Took a little getting use to in the hot summer, but after a while, it’s no big deal. I like to think it makes your lungs a little stronger having to breathe through it all the time. I also wear safety glasses with the foam ridges that keep anything from dripping in your eyes, but don’t fog up. Absolute best gloves are the black widow nitrile gloves at Walmart. A lot stronger and don’t rip near as often as any of the other brands.


My bad, just saw how old the original thread was lol! :man_facepalming:

The pink 3m respiratior is what I use. its rated for PG/AG(ACID GAS) and works great for any chemical we use. its a real respiratior not a paper mask.

looks like the one linked, but make sure you get the p100 PG/AG rated cartridges for it

1 Like

hahaha same… I was reading through, saw your comment… dang it not again! lol

Old thread, but anyone know how often or how to know when it’s time to change cartridges on the 3M respirators?

This is the official verbiage from 3M. TLDR: Change them when you can smell bleach. :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

Replace both the 3M™ Gas & Vapour Cartridge Filters:
• When the expiry date stamped on the sealed packet
has elapsed.
• Once opened, maximum use time is 6 months (even if
not used). The carbon will absorb contaminants from
the general environment.
• When contaminant can be detected by smell or taste.
• Or in accordance with your established Filter
Change Schedule.

I tend to change them every other month but I’m sensitive to bleach so I’m sure you can get longer if you’re a normal human lol.


I can’t smell anything anymore :confused:

Thanks so much. I didn’t use one at all when I first started, then suffered a punctured lung in a jetski accident last year and thought I better be careful. Now I regret not using them from the start. When I didn’t smell any bleach the first time I used them, I knew what a difference maker they are.

1 Like

Is the N95 good enough?

No - an N95 doesn’t do anything for gases and vapors.

I think they’re suitable for housewashing, but probably nothing with stronger mixes like roof cleaning.

The goal is to keep the droplets/mist out of your lungs, not necessarily the smell. But I notice much less odor when using a fresh N95 than without it.