Chlorine Dioxide

Hi Gents,

Has anyone seen if Chlorine Dioxide can perform as well as SH for housewashing.

Just curious if anyone has had hands on experience with it.

Thank you,
Jeremy P.

Not sure how it would perform as I have never tried it.

I will say this regarding CLO2. It is used in paper mills and other industrial facilities I have done work in. I am a Safety Consultant full-time, and have seen workers get nasty burns after getting on their skin or breathing it in. It is used for bleaching the pulp which makes our paper white, and is some pretty nasty, reactive stuff in high concentrations (so is Chlorine). I have also seen it used at a lot of water treatment facilities, as well as Chlorine gas, to treat our drinking water. Keep in mind, both are used in miniscule amounts to do this.

If you give it a try, read through this health statement. Similar to SH it has some very irritating effects to our body in certain concentrations.

If you were to experiment with it, I would start with very small concentrations in a controlled setting, while using the appropriate respiratory protection. From everything I have read, it seems like it would work well, and you can buy it in tablets rather than liquid form. Not sure how much you need to be effective, so idk if there is a cost advantage.

I am curious to see what anyone else has to say or has experience with.

@CaCO3Girl i wonder if our residential chemist might have any input?

I have been exploring this in theory.

Many thanks in advance!

Can you give me a real world scenario here? I’m super confused since this should technically be a gas, and not a very stable one at that. I don’t see it hanging around long enough to do anything before it turns to a gas and goes poof.

Hi @CaCO3Girl

Using liquid Chlorine dioxide (ClO2) in liquid form adding to a surfactant and spraying home exteriors. Apparently 250% more effective than chlorine for disinfection/sanitising!

Approved by US epa/usda for mould, bacterial sanitisation

See article Chlorine Dioxide Approvals - Australia - Natural Water Solutions

Could we replace the use of SH on site and instead use CLO2?

Might be a little warm for that……

So we all know SH is sold at 12.5%….and it can be watered down more.

What level is the ClO2 sold as?

How widely available is it?

SH is commonly used because it is widely available. Not sure it can be replaced.

1 Like

Here is a link to the ClO2 “tablets”. It’s about $30 for a 1lb bag. I didn’t search deep enough to find bulk pricing.

I would be curious as to how much needs to be used to make it as effective as SH.

It is recommended to apply a 5 PPM solution, I copy and pasted a section from the technical data sheet on their website. I could not find the SDS for this product.

Company : Safrax Inc. 8 The Green, Ste 4000. Dover DE 19901
Product : Chlorine Dioxide Releasing/Producing/Generating Tablet
Appearance : White tablet (1, 4,10, 20, 100 gram size)
Emergency Number : 1-800-255-3924
Revision date : 06/18/2015
As an initial or remedial treatment to kill algae and bacteria on hard non-porous
surfaces on equipment, greenhouse structures, glazing, plastic, benches, walkways,
floors, walls, fan blades, ventilation ducts, watering systems, coolers and storage
• Prepare a 5 ppm solution of activated Safrax Chlorine Dioxide.
• Apply the 5 ppm solution with mop, sponge or sprayer. When applying these
solutions using a high- pressure sprayer, wear a NIOSH/MSHA-approved
respirator appropriate for chlorine dioxide.
• Visibly wet all surfaces and ensure the surfaces remain visibly wet for at least one

If CIO2 is a gas. Could it be that they just call it Chlorine dioxide even though it is something else in solid form?

Similar to how SH is commonly sold as “Chlorine”.

Also, any idea what these tablets would be making when mixed with water?

Mary is our friendly neighborhood chemist. Let’s not wear out the magic genie by asking questions that don’t need asking. Roofing industry and vinyl siding manufacturers recommend SH. It works. No need to reinvent the wheel. @CaCO3Girl


I will explore this in practice with our local chemical factory and update this forum.

In time, If a product did become available that didn’t corrode Equipment or was less hazardous, well that would be quite incredible!


Just an fyi, the amount of chemical needed to sanitize water is NOT the same needed to kill organic growth (mold/mildew) on a house.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks!

Sorry for asking a lot of questions lol.

Not trying to start a great debate, just thought it was an interesting idea. Also not planning on buying 1lb bags for $30 a pop.

Being less corrosive on equipment would save us all a lot of money, but I guess that is the price we all pay to be able to clean organics efficiently.

1 Like