Fence question

@Racer just wanted to clarify its 6-8oz per cup of water?

No- just 6-8 oz per gallon. 8oz is 1 cup, So basically 1 cup per gal.

2 Likes

ok thanks for the clarification. I just ordered a 10 lb bag of it.

1 Like

Apple cider vinegar performs the same function as oxalic acid? If so, how do you mix it… do you just add a cup per gallon of water and spray it on?

1 Like

I do 50/50 and ds

Reading up on wood work tonight. I’ve got a nasty deck tomorrow. I’m still only downstreaming and I’m using 10% SH. I’m planning on mixing a 5er with straight SH and my soap. I’d like to add some hydroxide (powder lye) to the mix too, but I’m not sure how much would be a good amount. What are your thoughts? Here are a couple pics of the deck.

going to be some great before and after pics

Whatever happened to that deck. Where are after pics?

Shoot. My bad. It turned out great.

Checked it 1 week later and there was some furring but not too bad.

4 Likes

what was your mix?

In a 2 gallon pump sprayer. Less than 1 gal 10% SH. 1 cup sodium hydroxide (lye) couple squirts of dawn. Wet wood. Applied. Waited 10 mins. Rinsed. Post treated with oxalic. 1 cup/gal in a DIFFERENT pump sprayer. Don’t mix them. Ever. You might die

4 Likes

No offense, but that deck doesn’t really look great to me. The wood looks really dark. Is that after the oxalic? I’ve only done a handful, so maybe it’s just me.

Yea that’s after oxalic. It has a natural look. Not bleached out like some of the decks I’ve seen. It’s all personal preference. The homeowner and I were pretty happy with it. It was covered in algae and slick black nastiness for no telling how long.

Can I see some of your wood work for reference?

1 Like

Heh. I’d take a look, but I’m in Donying, China at the moment!! I used brightener on 2 decks so far, but it was the Sherwin-Williams liquid brightener.

Yea when you get a moment thatd be great. I like checking out different work and methods. Also, this deck is completely shaded with no direct sunlight except for the front steps.

If I have a 2.5 gpm machine (for now), DS isn’t really an option for me. What advice would one of you give for a mildew covered fence with a 1 gal sprayer? The customer is asking for her fence to be done, but I’ve only ever done white vinyl, not wooden and of course don’t want to have to pay for a new one. Is this something that, for now, I should just walk away from?

Walk away

Why? No disrespect, just curious so that I can better myself and understand.

You already answered why. You have a 2.5 gpm machine and can’t ds. I would hold off on washing anything until you bought equipment