Last house of the day today, should have been a 1 hour job. Dilapidated old vinyl house that the new owners are rehabbing.
The electrical service was recently re-done but the wiring from the meter to the panel was 70+ years old and the insulation was cracked and missing. I had just finished rinsing that side of the house when I heard some loud pops and saw arcing on a wire near the meter. Next thing I know there’s smoke coming from the wire that feeds the house breaker panel.
I called 911 and the fire department came. The wiring was still smoking so the FD called the electric utility who cut power to the house. The utility people and FD were stunned that the wiring was so degraded considering the house just had a complete home inspection.
Bottom line, be careful, this could have been a disaster. I had no idea that this electrical line was in such bad shape. Customer’s are spending the night with friends since the utility won’t re-connect power until the wiring is up to code. Might be a day or two without power.