Wood fence

My customer wants me to clean this wooden fence so he can stain it. I dont think their is any stain on it just weathered. Whats the best way to clean it thanks

1 Like

Just to clean it I would use bleach and soap. Since he’s going to stain it I would neutralize/ brighten with oxalic.

I was taught that you don’t need hydroxide stripper if there is no existing stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource

1 Like

If you are ever unsure perform a “splash test” where you apply water to the surface and if it beads up or repels you should use a stripper. If the water soaks in just clean and brighten. The pictures do look just like weathered gray fencing. Look at Thad “The Wood Guy!”

2 Likes

Somebody had to jump in there, Everett. I’m glad the cavalry showed!

1 Like

Bleach, Freshwash, light pressure.
A whole apartment complex worth.

No turning back, you are officially a “Woodie”

I love commercial wood jobs! There are more out there than people realize. Nice work Thad, great pics.

THANKS FOR THE HElp

hey thad what should be my mix ratio

Start at 50% and work up or down from there.
Ratios will depend on the strength of the bleach and your equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource mobile app

thanks thad i have a 8gpm water dragon

What is the best brand and place to get the oxalic and stripper?

I’ve only used the stuff from Pressure Tek. If I did a ton of it I would buy in bulk and play backyard Heisenberg.

1 Like

Thad, when you say 50% are you saying 1 gallon of 12.5 to 1 gallon of water or are you talking about putting a ton of 12.5 to a little water to make it 50%actual bleach to 50%water (taking into account the water that’s in the bleach formula)

Aaron Easter
5AlarmMobilePW
Oklahoma City Metro
Fleet Washing

I may be WAY off here. Playing with my first fence today=|

Aaron Easter
5AlarmMobilePW
Oklahoma City Metro
Fleet Washing

Also, what would be my oxalic ratio for ds? #Notawoodie

Aaron Easter
5AlarmMobilePW
Oklahoma City Metro
Fleet Washing

Oh boy,

Bored, too much time taking a break.

Bleach and soap cleans and kills mildew/mold on unstained wood. Anything over 3% sodium hypochlorite concentration is damaging to wood. Rinse well.

Oxalic, citric, or other acids do nothing to wood cleaned with sodium hypochlorite. Unless using certain oil stains, may be harmful to the finish.

These are pics of the fence. Mixed 2.5 gallons of 12.5 to 2.5 gallons of water and added surfactant. Down streamed it. Not real happy with results. Should I use caustic beads and oxalic?

Aaron Easter
5AlarmMobilePW
Oklahoma City Metro
Fleet Washing

Used 50/50 12.5 and ds with Elemonader. Wasn’t bright enough until I went over it with oxalic to brighten.

Aaron Easter
5AlarmMobilePW
Oklahoma City Metro
Fleet Washing