Who should I go through for insurance?

I’ve been looking into quotes and hiscox quoted me at 358/m. This seems high to me. Is this a typical price in florida? Who else should I consider?

Must be your market… What are you claiming and what type of insurance are you wanting?

Hiscox just pulled out this months funds…
06/06/2017 His*hiscox Inc 888-202-3007 Ga more $37.50

1 Like

General liability 1m. And they want 1200 down???

7k a year here in NY and we r as small as it gets

Your best bet would probably be shopping your local agencies.

One concern that is raised a lot is CCC: care, custody, and control. Many general liability policies have an exclusion or clause for items under your “care, custody, or control”. What that basically means is that if you cause damage to something you are directly working on, like the siding of a home, your insurance may not cover it if there is a ccc clause.

So when you go shopping for coverage, make sure to get a quote that includes their limit for CCC items. Under some carriers, it may get bundled with office or work equipment coverage. My policy has a $25k cap. I’ve seen some policies with much lower limits.

And if an agent says you don’t need CCC, or that it doesn’t apply to what you work on, ask them to put the explanation into writing.

I’m currently with JD Walters, but I’m going to be switching at the end of this year’s contract, because they don’t cover snow removal. I had a local agent iron things out so I will be keeping the same exact policy, only it’ll be through their agency and with the added snow removal rider.

Apparently the policies that JDW writes are very specialized for our industry. It took quite a bit of doing just to get it transferred to another agent. So if you can deal with some of the limitations and negative feedback, JDW is worth a look if you can’t find a good option locally.

Some factors that are probably working against you:

1. You’re new in business
  2. You have no business GL history
  3. You’re considered high-risk, for the above reasons.
1 Like

This was very helpful, thank you. I’ll head to my local agencies on my next day off!

I got mine locally for less than $100 a month.

JDW just quoted me at $1400. I’m brand new to the business. In Texas.

My insurance is from Joseph Walters, but libirty mutual is who I’m acually covered by… I am a new buisness also and I am paying $129 a month. Seems high for me, but you gotta have it

Joseph Walters wanted $300 more per year than Burns & Wilcox. I pay $80/month with B&W. Joseph D Walters fell off the face of the Earth when I asked them how much it was before our supposed “discount”. Something didn’t quite feel right about the deal…

I know they are pretty expensive but no one else would cover me so I had no choice

If you’re a member of HomeAdvisor they have a partnership with Lockton Affinity. They were a little less expensive than my other company, but I go through the same guy for every insurance I have and that’s the only reason I don’t have Lockton.

I am also insured through JDW as Liberty Mutual being the underwriter. I pay 1500 per year in Texas. They are the go to guys from what I have read and researched for the pressure washing industry. I’m not saying they are the only ones out there, but they seem to specialize their coverage related to pressure washing.

Allstate with the underwriting done by MetLife. 1100.00 annually,with 15,000.00 in equipment coverage.

They are like Behr paint at home depot. Not very good but a lot of advertising in the right places.

1 Like

This seems plausible, lol.

Although I do like the fact that they will send out a COI within an hour of my requesting it, and oftentimes much sooner.

Bear in mind, any insurance agent will do that. If you are happy with them that is all that matters. It took them about 6 years to return my phone calls and when they did it was 9pm on a Sunday. Strange company.

1 Like

We use Erie and pay around $900 a year for a million coverage and $12000 in equipment coverage.

For those who have responded with rates, what type of business are you? Partnership, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, etc?

LLC here. Run from Sole Props like they’re diseased. Burns & Wilcox through the Baldwin Agency in Kearney, MO. $2 million in coverage, $80/month