Which pressure washer to buy? Which is a good one

I have got a craftsman like 2.5 3,000 on my trailer I use if needed… That is cutting out sometimes will not start and not even 2 years old… I was thinking about getting another a better one.
Which is a good one really good one.
Im now looking at this North Star… It has a Comet Pump
do not know about that???
What would you buy…
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594835_200594835

This is the one I recommend to everyone looking to step up a bit. You’ll need a buffer tank, but it’s totally worth it.

(I should really be getting a commission from KEC for this, lol)

1 Like

I have a Northstar.

Honda Motor 13.0 horsepower
CAT Pump 3500PSI @ 4GPM

Bought it new in 94 or 95. Still runs like a champ. Have had to replace the seals once and the ceramic pistons once. That’s it.

2 Likes

Wow that is some kind of service having that long engine still cranking fine.

I saw that one they have with what you have and the Cat Pump. It cost $1,345 this has all the same but has a Comet Pump for $1,149 think Id rather have the Cat Pump…

And I don’t know the engine HP… It list GX390 389CC
just how many HP is that… how do you fig it??
Tks

The GX390 is pretty close to what I have - just newer. I think it specs out at about 12HP or maybe a hair under. Plenty of juice.

Alex I like that Electric Start, never seen a small one with that… I like it that tires are AIR in them like a real tire…
I’m biteing the bullet and getting one…
Explain Buffer Tank what is that do??
It sure is high for a 2,500psi,
guess that electric start
That North Star is Fee Shipping…

Dont buy a 4gpm buy the 5.5gpm

@Infinity What are some of the limitations to a 5.5 2500 machine, to a 5.5 machine with much higher psi capabilities? Is there a certain service or material you could not clean with 2500psi machine?

Alex they wanted $350 to ship to my work… Think I’m going with that NStar 4,000 psi 4gpm $`1,350 Free Shipping

What do you use this machine for? I seem to recall you mentioning in another thread that you don’t do power washing professionally, or at least not anymore?

Please don’t give the false hope that this machine could stand up to years of professional use. It won’t.

@Fatdaddy, looking on the NorthernTool website, the only machine I can find at the price you’ve mentioned is rated at 3.5 gpm, not 4.

As far as the limitations of 2500 psi, the only thing I’ve heard is that it may not be quite enough for some commercial concrete. But if you’re looking to seriously pursue that market, you should be getting a hot water machine anyway. 2500 should be enough for residential concrete, which tends to be softer.

The advantage of 5.5 gpm over 3.5 or 4 is all about the speed. When soft washing houses, the real ‘bottleneck’ moment is rinsing. Pretty much any size machine will put the detergent on the siding pretty quickly; it’s a light application, with the chemicals and dwell time doing the real work.

But rinsing is the time consuming part, especially with a smaller machine. Basically, it’s going to take a certain number of gallons to properly rinse the side of a house.

Let’s say for the sake of argument, the average house you wash requires 200 gallons to rinse properly (I’m just pulling this out of thin air- I’ve never actually measured). If you have a 3.5 gpm machine, that means you will need to rinse for close to an hour. Whereas a 5.6 gpm machine will only take 36 minutes of rinsing.

But, using the 5.6 machine will result in much more than 24 minutes of time saved. Not only will your detergent go on a little quicker, but you can afford to soap up more area at one time without risking it drying on the siding before you can rinse. You may only be able to soap one wall, or just a section of a larger wall with the 3.5, because you can only rinse so much area before the solution starts to dry. With the 5.6, you can usually wash two walls at a time. Each cycle of soap/rinse eats up time.

My personal experience has been that I can complete a house wash at least twice as quickly with my 5.6 vs the 3.5 I had been using. To me, that has been the difference between doing $1000+/day and $1,800+/day (when I am able to line up that many house washes for one day).

To put it another way, I have quite a few customers that get multiple services: power washing, window cleaning, and sometimes gutter cleaning. These jobs often total $1000 or more. Using my 5.6 unit, I am able to complete the washing of these fairly large homes in just an hour or two, allowing me to move on to the more time consuming window cleaning very quickly, and in most cases complete the job in a fairly easy 6-8 hour day. Had I used my old 3.5 unit, I would end up spending close to the whole morning washing, and end up either completing later than I’m really comfortable working, or have to return the next day to finish. Yuck!

The advantages of completing a job in one day instead of one and a half cannot be understated. Unless you work in a very tight market area, half days can really mess up the flow of the schedule. You will not always be able to schedule more revenue producing work for the open afternoon. So you end up losing two days to do what should have taken one.

As far as the buffer tank or other considerations for setting up a larger machine, please use the search feature. There’s been a lot written already on the subject.

Couple other points I thought of:

You can get the pull start version and bolt on a starter kit from ebay or amazon for around $120. There’s a few hundred saved there edit: bad advice; those kits don’t work with the newer 390’s

If you’re shipping to a commercial location that has a forklift or loading dock, shipping should be less than $350 (I would think). It was around $260 to ship my entire order, which included a few hundred feet of pressure hose and other odds and ends.

Belt drive will last way longer than a direct drive, as mentioned in numerous other threads. And bypassing to the buffer tank will extend the life of your pump by keeping it running cool.

Don’t bother getting the wheeled cart. Just get the skid version. This machine is heavy, and you’ll want to mount it to your rig.

4 Likes

@Infinity Thanks for the info!

Thank you for all of that. Good points taken, yes it is a 3.5. this unit I will just put on the end of my trailer for times when my other one acts up… Yes I do houses and such for work.

Prob a dumb question. I have a Honda gx390 with a direct drive pump. Can I upgrade my current set up to a belt drive or are they completely different motors?

might depend on what kind of Pump…
find somebody smarter than me on that one…

Same motor. You just need pullys and room on the skidto mount motor and pump

Guys I’m about to talk myself into getting me a bigger Hot WATER washer…
My business is doing pretty good been getting lots of big houses doing some banks credit unions and I hve not even started my ad in the paper…

I been looking a NorthStar those links you see all what it has good.
I went to the Landa page they just dont show you models tellling PSI GPM very good… Im looking to spend $11,000+… Sold some stuff got back $5,000 back IRS.
My unit is cold water 3,500 psi 5gpm cold water washer…I gave $3,000 for it 2 years ago. A Van Guard 16hp with 150’ of hose a electric reel which i love to death, Gonna ask $3,000 going to put it Memphis craigslist 100 miles away… Don’t want no completion here more than I got…
Found one NorthStar
This one 4gpm 3,500 $7,500
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200317423_200317423

This one 4,000psi 7gpm $11,500
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342903_200342903

If you spending that kid of money which rout u go??

I’ve been researching the how water units for a few weeks now and I think I’ve narrowed my choice down to one of these.

http://shop.pressurewasherky.us/LiquiForce-Hot-Pressure-Washer_c174.htm

You will never regret buying from Russ at Southside Equipment. Knowledgeable, fair, willing to help you get back up running if you ever have an issue. Good shop to do business with.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim! I’ve read that about him and we plan to send some business his way.

GREAT info man!! I have a gx390 with a direct drive. Is there anyway I could swap out a belt driven pump to my motor? I’m hoping there’s an adapter kit or something.