Which machine would suit my needs better and/or is of better quality?

Hi guys, new here. I have been lurking tho. I haven’t been participating, just learning for now. I’d appreciate a little advice.

I am starting a small, residential PW business. I’m starting very small. All of my profits will be saved to build a better kit to move up to commercial jobs in the future since my normal work pays the bills. I have to start small because I don’t have a large amount of money to start this. With that in mind, I’ve narrowed down my options to these 2 machines and I would love your advice on which would be the better route.

Simpson MegaShot 3,100 psi 2.5 GPM

Generac 6436R Onewash 3,000 PSI 2.8 GPM Gas Pressure Washer REFURB

I would love the higher GPM machine, but I’m not familiar with the quality of Generacs and it’s also a refurb. On the plus side, it’s a tad bit cheaper. On the other hand, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Simpson brand and it has a Honda motor. It is also OHC, where the Generac is OHV. I really am leaning towards the Simpson, but I guess I’d like another’s opinion on the matter. What do you guys think?

Of the 2, the Simpson is my choice…I actually have that same washer.

But, be forewarned…those pumps are very short lived. Mine is sitting in the garage with the pump gone…only 25hrs of use…engine runs like a champ. Now, I am sure some will last longer than mine did…but you can’t tell which will, when buying.

Amazon sells the replacement pump for that unit for about $140.

I am just going to buy a Comet triplex pump to put on mine, take it to the lake and leave it for use there. The Comet pump will be about $225.

As always…this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it…nothing.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very good to know. I have heard the pumps can vary wildly. I guess I really don’t have too many options when starting out small with a small budget, so I guess it will have to work. I just wish I had some feed back on Generac quality. Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, it will probably be comparable quality to the Simpson…but I have no experience with them.

I have been through several of these cheap washers over the years…none of the OEM pumps are any good…NONE.

1 Like

You should put off the idea until you can buy what you u need to stay in business

6 Likes

I agree…using mine for an example…if you get lucky and have a great week soon after starting…the washer MIGHT not last the entire week.

They are junk made for purchase by folks that don’t know any better.

1 Like

I’ve posted this before in more detail, but I’ll say it again:

If you can’t afford a professional machine, use the money you were about to flush down the drain to rent a decent washer. Use the income from your first few jobs to get set up properly.

OR (gasp) put it on credit. The proper equipment is an investment. It is not the same as running up credit cards on worthless consumer merchandise.

I respect the message that Dave Ramsey and others preach about avoiding debt. But becoming self-employed/business owner involves risk in every step of the process. Do your best to avoid needless risks, but don’t be completely averse to credit when it is used for growing your business intelligently.

8 Likes

Great advice and points.

I’m gonna follow up with what Alex says and agree whole heartedly. I just upgraded from a direct drive 4 gpm @4k psi to a belt drive 5.5 gpm@2500. The difference is pretty noticeable. I went from struggling to do 2 houses with my direct drive unit to the 4 jobs I did yesterday. I made $800 yesterday at a nice leisurely pace. May be small potatoes to some of y’all but I was extremely happy. Do what he says. Schedule a couple jobs rent a unit. Set back the money or buy one with credit off the bat.

1 Like

I’ve been going the route of renting equipment when I can line up a few jobs over a weekend. Thinking about it more deeply though I doubt I would spend as much in interest as I’m racking up in rental fees. This is assuming I can keep business coming in.
My question for everyone here is how piecemeal can I go when starting? If I buy the 5.5 gpm machine must I have a buffer tank. With a buffer tank comes a trailer, Yada Yada Yada.

1 Like

I rent equipment all the time. The local Aaladin dealer lets you rent to own with no interest. Every rental payment you make goes toward the purchase price, but that means your paying full price for used equipment even if you’re not paying interest.

I run a 4 gpm machine on houses that have less than 6 gpm at the faucet or my 5 gpm machine at anything above that. I rarely use the buffer tank. I rent an 8 gpm hot water unit when I need it, but that’s mainly for restaurants and gas stations, but I have no intention of “renting to own”.

It works for me.

2 Likes

Great replies from all. I really appreciate it. That’s why I joined this community. It seemed very helpful and to be full of people that aren’t here to just internet troll. I really do appreciate all of the advice.

1 Like

Anything over 4gpm you should have a buffer, even on my 4 gpm i had a buffer you just never know.
Also you can make a simple portable buffer with a small tank 25-50 gal that wont take up too much space.

3 Likes

I do agree with Innocent on this though, those small machines are pointless if your starting a business.

For me renting would probably eat drastically into my profit, if i had to rent everyday. A small belt drive cost around 1400-1600 and that would be a few house wash’s. That being said there is a lot more then just the machine itself so trying to start the business on a budget of $500 wouldnt be the best.

1 Like

Wouldn’t even cover 4 months of insurance premiums.

I don’t want to discourage you but a $500 budget is going to be tough. By the time you purchase equipment, license, insurance, and advertising you’re gonna be in the $3-5k range. However you can make that money back relatively soon if you have a hustler spirit.

2 Likes

I have more than $500, I’m just doing this on a smaller than needed budget. The profits are all side money that will be put straight into the bank and saved for upgrades. I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to just do small, residential stuff with this unit. That’s literally what it’s designed for, right? I know a couple people who already do it, IRL and online. I know the low GPM will just take forever to rinse, compared to a higher GPM machine. But I should be able to soft wash, do driveways, sidewalks, and decks fairly easily. Cars and trucks too. I really have to know my limits. I’m going to do all of my family’s houses to get a feel for this machine.

What I did was get a cheap used utility trailer. Then got hose reels and hoses, and used that with the rental machine for a couple of jobs. Then, once I knew I could bring in the work to justify it, I bought everything else I needed on a card: 5.5@2500 belt drive machine, homemade buffer tank (55 gallon drum), and all the odds and ends. If it weren’t for prior financial obligations, I could have easily saved up the money for the machine with the jobs I had already done.

1 Like

I started a couple of decades ago with a $40k start up investment and that was hard to get going.

1 Like

I’m an ex-marketing student. I’ve got that down. I’m just gonna dive in on the short end of the business and try to work my way up. If I fail, I have a nice machine to keep my extremely long driveway clean with. ha But in all honesty, I really do have the hustler mindset. I think that is what’s gonna help me succeed. Also, I think I’ll use my tax return this year to put towards a hot water unit. If I can buy a truck and trailer throughout this year and save some money to add to my tax return, I can buy a good hot water unit and all the bells and whistles come February. I just have to work my ass off while the season is still going.