Where to buy a machine?

I’ve had three big box machines. They were okay for learning, but now I’m looking for a “real” belt-drive machine. I see a zillion different models with 4000 PSI and 4gpm. I could try to pick out one with a good engine and pump. But it’s one of those situations where I don’t know what I don’t know. What about the little things? I’m afraid of spending $1700 only to discover the thing is too heavy to lift, it’s real awkward to hook up the hoses, the injector is a cheap afterthought, the gun cannot handle the SH, or it is geared towards another application and just doesn’t have the right creature comforts for somebody working out of a pickup truck.

Is there a machine that is specifically set up for soft washing? Is it worth it to buy from a place like Pressure Tek that specializes in this stuff? Would I be better off buying locally and building more of a local relationship? Or maybe all machines are basically the same and I’m totally overthinking it?

What’s your budget for your machine?

I’m thinking $1500 to $2000.

I suggest finding a local dealer. That way you have someone to speak with in person and not a ( Hello, my name is abukha Massad Allah). Plus most local dealers have a certified tech to work on them. I have found that Mi-T-M washers are pretty good. Or you could save "maybe " a few hundred and order offline. But in ,y experience, they always come in damaged to some extent. There are alot of washers out there. Do some homework and choose which one best suits the applications you will us it on. FYI(4GPM or higer)

Many of us here, including myself, have bought our machines feom this place. This would be a great unit to fit in your budget.

1 Like

Northern Tool is where I bought my first one. Great machines for the price too.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/CompareProductsDisplay?storeId=6970&catalogId=11652&langId=-1&catentryId=200595284&cr=4&numR=8&catentryId=200594834&cr=5&numR=1

I also bought my second one (8 gpm) from Pressure Tek.

1 Like

I agree

I bought a 5.5 GPM 2500 PSI machine from KEC Supplies. $1500 shipped. It is an excellent machine for residential, but you will want to consider something else if you’re looking to do commercial too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input.

I saw Pressure Tek doesn’t have much selection of machines. Wasn’t sure if that’s because machines are not really their thing or because they only sell the best. It sounds like they are pretty legit. MrFixit’s suggestion sounds like a plan.

Instock, Where are you located?

Buy the 5.5 @2500, it cost the same as the 4@4k but is faster in all aspects.

1 Like

New Jersey. There is a place about 45 minutes from me called Aquatech. They seem to know their stuff over there as well.

A Pressure Pro 4gpm 4000psi belt drive machine with Cat pump is a great all around little machine that you can do just about anything with. It will run a 19’WW Classic surface cleaner fine. You can soft wash, pressure wash, perfect for decks and fences, whatever you want to do. Shop around, you can find for about $1300 plus freight. What you save on sales tax will pay good chunk of freight.

3 Likes

I’ll add my +1 for the 5.6@2500 from KEC. Currently they’re running a contest on their FaceBook page, giving one away. If you decide to buy the machine, and then later win the contest, they’ll refund you the price of the machine and give you $500 in store credit on top. It’s a no-brainer to enter the contest if you’re already planning to buy it.

That’s where I got my 16t22

I’m also having an issue deciding on what unit to get.

I’m primarily a Window Cleaner, and going full hog on adding soft washing to my services. I’ll be mainly doing residential soft-wash applications with the likely possibility of doing 3-story homes (I have customers in these areas currently for window cleaning). I also plan to do fencing & decks as well, but don’t plan on doing surface cleaning anytime soon. I’m planning on offering exterior cleaning packages through FB ads & EDDM, House Wash + Spot-Free Window Cleaning at relatively low price points… but this is where things get interesting.

Because Window Cleaning was my primary service up until now, I invested in Water-fed Pole equipment (40-ft Reach-iT PRO) with an RO+DI system I built myself, and also have a mobile sprayer cart for storefronts - so plumbing, pumps, PSI & Flow isn’t foreign to me. I’m going to merge my pure water window cleaning with soft washing on a trailer, both fed by a 275-gal tote. I’ll filter on-site from the tank with a pump fed by a deep-cycle marine battery, so I’ll literally be a one-stop shop of cleaning awesomeness.

Problem: I bought a direct-drive 4 GPM @ 4200psi unit, but this would need to be fed by a $100 pump and $200 battery, and this adds up to about $200 less than a belt drive unit… So now I have the bright idea of selling my current unit for a belt drive for a few hundred more, but… what to get?!

I’ve seen 5.6 @ 2500 units, but would this work for what I want to do with 200’ of hose? What other 5+GPM units are avail for around $1500-$1800? 8GPM unit would be a hard pill to swallow given this is the start of an add-on service.

Hi Brian, you could have written my autobiography, lol. In the exact same situation in regards to starting with windows and transitioning into house washing + pure water window cleaning

The 5.6@2500 works awesome for house washing. I have 200’ of hose on my reel and it works great. I have no trouble pulling soap with the downstream injector, even when I’ve needed to add an extra 50’ to reach around larger homes. And I’m able to reach up to 3 stories with a shooter tip and a 6 inch lance on my gun. Just make sure to not schedule the really high work on days it’ll be breezy. Wind is your enemy when soft washing.

But you may be able to feed your direct drive unit with just gravity feed, if you set it up correctly. It’s at least worth a shot. I know a lot of guys have been able to do it, and a lot of other guys have had no such luck. A booster pump and battery are a bad idea, imo.

Hit me up if you have any questions

2 Likes

Alex, thats absolutely awesome to hear on the 5.6@2500, just what I wanted to know!

I’m still apprehensive about gravity feeding the 4@4200 direct drive I have. It works great, just what I need to get started, but the whole water input thing has me in a bind as it needs to feed effectively from a tank - with at least 200’ of hose. The pump inlet would be about 8"’ higher than the tank outlet, meaning I’ll need to have water in the tank X-amount higher for sufficient pressure, I just don’t know how much that is.

Anyone on here have experience using a direct drive unit feeding from a 275-gal tote?

My plan is to use the tank from about 3/4 full to 1/4 full, depending on how often I feel about connecting the garden hose to the tap to fill as I use.

I don’t shop local anymore because its actually cheaper to buy from Florida than Seattle… and I live near Seattle. Lori from pressure washer products is very knowledgeable and generous.

1 Like