Wax for vinyl siding

Does anyone here apply wax as a finish for vinyl siding? I am looking for a good wax and have bought W-200 Spray Wax from Powerwash.com. Has anyone used it?

No, we don’t apply any wax to vinyl siding. Should not really be necessary in my pressure washing opinion.

never have. I don’t understand how you would get it off the windows .

You have to leave it on the vinyl correct.? --Which means you’d have to hand wipe the windows ?

Thinktoomuch

It is just like the wax the car wash places put in their water. It won’t
be seen at all unless you put on percent that is considered too much!

I am going to try it on my shed which has windows on all sides and see what
happens.
It is supposed to make the vinyl shine for a few months and makes the job
easier the next time around. Stuff just won’t stick as fast to this
surface.

Rock’s Pressure Washing

oh yea…the competition here in town nearly put himself out of business waxing vinyl. His customers didn’t have to call him back ,to clean ,for many years. Is this a wise tail or the truth. I don’t know.

I doubt that ti is the truth. It doesn’t last very long. Inn fact it is
called a ‘cheater wax’. Looks good for a few months and lets you get the
benefits of future sales without the downsides.

Rock

Wonder if anyone has ever done test to see what really happens or doesn’t happen ?

I’ll be doing just that in the next few days. I will email you with the
results.

Rock

I did side by side on the north side of my home…if I remember right the portion without wax had mildew return in about a year. The part with wax had mildew regrow in about 15-18 months. I need to find the exact dates…I think I wrote it down somewhere. We use it as part of our premium house wash package which also includes exterior window cleaning. The one we use almost always leaves windows pretty bad.

OK, which wax are you using? I am looking at two. one is W-200 spray wax
from Powerwash.com and the other is from Southside Equipment Inc. (
pressurewasherky.us)

Rock

The one from southside…I think it is super spray wax.

Are you able to clean the wax off the windows with a WFP, or do you clean them nose to glass?

I’ve had a couple customers ask about wax, and I’ve been hesitant because I’m really a window cleaner first, and power washer second. I don’t want anything that will make cleaning the windows more difficult.

I’m also curious how the wax looks on oxidized vinyl. Pretty much every house I wash has at least some sections with oxidation. Does the wax make it look better? Worse?

Thanks!

The owner told me to mix it according to the instructions. Increasing the
amount of wax in the rinse can leave a milky residue on the vinyl. Have
you seen that? I asked about the windows and he said that it would not
affect them at all. Sounds like you had a different experience?

Rock

is there that much of a demand for waxing vinyl ? I’ve never delved into it because it sounds like there’s too much liability and it impedes growth on the vinyl -which keeps me from coming out once a year. Plus–waxing over oxidation doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

We really try not to get any on glass since it makes it very hydrophobic, almost impossible to avoid completley, but being mindful of it can help. We wfp all 2nd story windows and traditional on most lower ones, and it’s still doable with the wax.

Yeah, my experience has been different. Never had any issues with vinyl, it doesn’t restore the luster of oxidation. You really can’t see it unless it rains (the water beads up more). I will say we aren’t doing a great job measuring out our mixes…we might be putting it on strong. We aim for 3-5 ounces per gallon water in the ds bucket (we draw about 15% if I remember right).

If what I read is correct they recommend mixing 5 gallons of wax with water
in a 55 gallon drum. That is 10:1 ratio. That mix is then to be fed to
the vinyl through a proportioning valve at 30:1 and that makes the final
ratio about 300:1 more like a cheater wax. Or to put it into prospective
with your strength. The cheater wax is .3% of the volume and your ratio is
3.1 % or ten time what you should be using. I calculated that using 4
ounces for your mix. At that rate 1/2 ounce would be find if you put it on
in a 30:1 ratio. With your 15% or if I read it right, a 7:1 ratio, you
should be using a lot less wax in you solution. You need to refigure and
know what you proportioning valve is putting out just to check my figures.
I think I am going to like the w-200 better although it more costly because
it goes on heavier. But that will make it easier to figure out how much to
add to the water.

Rock

Here’s my $0.02: I’ve only had one experience with waxed siding. I did a house this year where it had been applied and I found that, while there was still the usual algae, etc, there was ALSO dirt stuck (and by “stuck” I mean practically glued) to every inch of the house. A normal low pressure wash didn’t touch the stuck-on dirt. I had to go over all of it with higher pressure than I like to use on vinyl. One benefit of it though, when I showed what was going on to the customer, the hack who applied it looked REAL bad, and I gained some good business! So, in that sense, I LOVE wax…if you work in my area, please talk your customers into paying extra for that “service” LOL

One more thing, to EVERYONE (and I promise that I mean this sincerely and with no desire to offend anyone): Please, PLEASE use the search feature on these forums!

There is a ton of info about wax and any other question you have already here, and the largest portion of it comes from guys who are well known, well respected, and well established in this industry. There has been a rash of really bad info posted lately, and a lot of you newer guys may be making very bad decisions by listening to some (NOT ALL) of it. Search before you ask, for your own good!

1 Like

Atlas1,

I understand your position and would welcome others to reply with their
experiences. The manufacturer says it will make it easier to clean the
next time as well as giving a ‘wet’ sheen to the vinyl when applied. I
don’t know about either as I have never done it. I am looking for
improvements for my customers of any kind. I do excellent work and
frequently get tips for my attention to detail. In the last three
cleanings I have received a total of $200 in tips! We have quite a few
‘low ballers’ out there who cut the price in half to get the job. No
amount of talking will convince that customer about the potential damage he
might receive by using these ‘jobbers’ who work out of the trunk of their
cars.

I am looking out for my customers and If I can give them a longer lasting
cleaning, then I am going to do it.
What I wan to know is the best way to do that.
Yes, I will charge for that service, little do they know that the wax costs
almost nothing if applied in the suggested manner. Applied to heavy will
leave a milky residue, which of course is ‘wax’. It will also coat windows
if applied to heavily. I you are going to do it I suggest that you do it
after measuring very carefully your wax with your water and follow
directions to the letter.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

“Rock”