Started the business this year, but finding myself looking for a job because its slow here in NJ

Hello everyone, I started my business the beginning of this year. But I was employed full time for a plumbing supply company when I started. In June I got terminated, so I was working more into the business and picked up a bit. Now it’s really slow and going on an interview this Friday for a regular job driving a truck locally. My feeling is that I can’t help to feel like I’m going against myself, like I’m going against what I want or believe in. Now mind you it’s my first year in business, but I just can’t help this feeling. Is it ok? Is it justifiable? Has anyone else gone through this??

A lot of people have been there. Check out this entire thread.

1 Like

Thanks bud, still getting the hang of the site

No problem. When I read your question I immediately thought of this thread. I’m sure there are probably 20 more like it.

2 Likes

I found the best way is to start doing it has a side job… I have a regular 5 day a week job and I POWER WASH on the side … so I work at 11pm and get off 7am sleep in till about 130 -2 then go wash… of course summer months it don’t get dark in till 8 so I can almost knock out two house a day during summer

3 Likes

It’s been a side gig for a little while, and decided to go all the way this year with truck lettering, business cards, insurance and so on. And it was fine when I did have the full time job and doing my business after work or on weekends. I just feel weird about going back to working for someone else again. But this spring and summer is going to be much better, now I have an idea of what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

NJ is a gold mine dont give up. What county are you in?

1 Like

Ocean…I’ve been trying to get into Monmouth tho.

Look, go into a neighborhood where you’ve already worked, and knock on some doors, using the customer as a reference. It’s easier than looking for a job, and pays better, too. My hook is to renew the sidewalk with ANY paid job. wash driveways, siding, brick, etc. and I’ll PW the sidewalk free. I’m not overloading my bank account yet, but I know that I am successful when I work. Selling my services is just part, and at the beginning, a very important part of my work.

Think about it: how much time will you devote to find a $10 - 15 per hour job. While you’re looking, you can sell enough jobs to earn a months pay in a week.

3 Likes