Some advice about advancing the business

Hey Guys,

Here is the run down of what I have going on.

Started the business on the side a few years ago…finally last season I went 100% legit. Now, I am still a one man show…Thankfully enough word of mouth and advertising has gotten me somewhere, this season I am doing better than before!

All I have is a 4gpm cold water machine, mounted in my bed with hose reels, a 21" surface cleaner, etc…

Still living with my parents (22 y/o)…running out of space in their garage to keep all my equipment and I am REALLY contemplating investing in a 14x7 enclosed tandem axle trailer…as I am doing OK for myself right now, my friend owns a shop just up the road from my house, and said I can keep the trailer on his property. I feel like a trailer is the next big leap into something bigger. (Own water/reclaim) and REALLY want to get into a 8gpm setup. What do you guys think, I think it will be more convenient, and eventually (most likely next season) I will be upgrading my equipment…

Quite honestly while I am doing okay, I still have a lot of bills from being young and dumb and charging go fast parts for my cars on a credit card…probably would have to finance some of the trailer.

Would love to hear advice, personal stories, etc… I am really cautious about spending money now adays, now that I have quit my real job and this is all I have.

Thanks guys

Get an enclosed trailer and put a big pretty sign on there the leads you get from driving around will pay for the trailer in a few short months if not quicker. Im running out of a 6x8 trailer and it does the job you just have to go smaller with tanks and make best use of your space. You can find used ones running from $1200-$2000 all day in my area on craigslist.

Thanks for the reply Midwest,

How small is small tank wise? I’ve never used my own water source always used customers’ water hook ups.

but shouldn’t I do a tandem axle because of the weight of the water? I’m worried if I blow a tire things might go south really fast.

I just started exterior cleaning this year. I purchased a gas Honda pro wash 5.6gpm, x jet and a 16in wisper wash from ThePowerWashStore.Com. I would have got it from Bob, but I live in Milwaukee and Paul and Alex is just more convenient for me. Lol

I like the idea of having my washing rig with me at all times ready to rock n roll. A trailer for me at this point would be for no reason other then for Show. But I rely on Door Knocking all day long and doing them on the spot.

I don’t know how you operate and what type of jobs you hustle for. Mabe more room would serve you better. But if your rocking it with What you have. I would save up and upgrade your equipment before getting a trailor

Can you provide a link to that machine…I looked and can’t seem to find it.

Thanks

http://www.powerwashstore.com/P/2837/EagleSeriesBeltDrive5.6-2500NoEB5525HG

I have a box truck but trailer is probably the better way to go if you pull with your personal truck/car. Keep in mind water weight though, once you go past about 4gpm, you will need a tank. Most house spigots are no more than 4gpm at least in my area.

Ya, like MidWest said, get big pretty signage, road signs, etc. If people see your info everywhere, they will think of you first when they need power washing.

Also, maybe think about learning to do roof cleaning. If you know how to do it right, you can make 2x the $$ than normal power washing.

Thanks