Sidewalks, Driveways, & Storm Sewers

I am working with a few Condominium Owners Associations on washing the driveways & sidewalks in multi unit (100 plus) neighborhoods. In this municipality, SH & surfactants are not allowed in the storm drains. Around here, sidewalks & driveways (concrete) can be cleaned easily by applying a fairly mild (2% or so of SH & a bit of soap) solution, dwell, cold water surface cleaner, & rinse.
My current equipment set-up for application is turbo pump & pro-portioner. My surface cleaner is Whisper Wash 19" powered by a Pressure Pro 4GPM, 4000 psi (cold only).
My thought is to collect the water and deposit in mulch beds around trees as I move from unit to unit through out the neighborhood.
Firstly, can I add vacuum fittings to my Whisper Wash or do I need to look at another surface cleaner that comes outfitted for recovery?
Secondly, what is good make/model recovery & discharge unit for this application?
Thirdly, any critiques of my approach are welcome.
Thanks.

Whisper wash does not make a recovery surface cleaner that im aware of, so if you want to go that route then you will have to buy another SC. But in order to use a recovery surface cleaner you now have to buy an expensive recovery unit.

Cheapest route is to block off sewer and damn the water in certain spots, then use a sump pump to discharge to landscape. Do not pretreat the driveway with anything though or else you will be killing landscaping when you discharge it. Use water only then do a post treatment to kill any tannin stains left. Make sure the sump pump you buy can be ran dry for long periods, just in case

3 Likes

Thanks Donte55,
My thought was that with the fairly weak solution, evaporation during dwell time, & 100% H2O from the surface cleaner it would be safe to discharge into mulch beds around trees. I would put down some potash pellets as well. Not sure how quickly they actually begin to interact with the SH & neutralize though (anyone?).
If I get the work, I am thinking of buying the IPC Eagle pump & discharge unit (any reviews on this unit are welcome) & another surface cleaner with proper vacuum fittings. That seems to be about the most cost effective unit out there for this fairly small scale recovery situation. But, I may try your suggestion first. I am always weighing the time vs money factor with equipment upgrades. If I think it will save me time & make me money, I’ll usually go for it.

If anyone with a lot of experience thinks discharging as I have described is “bad news”, please chime in. I don’t want to buy any trees.
I have been warned about Japanese Maples. I have washed several houses with them quite close but no issues for me so far. I am not sure if it is the foliage or the roots or both that make people nervous.
My Dad was a ground water engineer & he often said soil is a great filter.

• Thanks

Whenever I have recovery situations I use a 12 volt transfer pump. You can transfer to a tank or use a longer hose to transfer to wherever you wan. Cheap and easy

2 Likes

Did you ever kill any trees? I am also considering discharging into large planters with trees and think if I flood with fresh water hard after that it will wash down the 2% to almost nothing…