SH % higher than 12.5

Hey guys, newbie to the site but have been washing. Ow for about 8 years. Have been purchasing my SH at the pool supply store and recently my supplier has gotten in some 40% SH and some 72% SH. Has anyone ever used SH in higher percentage than 12.5? Just curious if it may be worth it but don’t want to be paying for new landscaping job at a garden district home due to to much SH, ( yes we rinse before after and we cover plants with tarps just saying)

On occasion you can get some hot 15% but there is no such thing as 40 or 72% You can get calcium hypochlorite at up to 70% but it is in powder form and of no use to us.

1 Like

@Innocentbystander that’s what I always thought as well. The store clerk did tell me it is in powder form with immediately made me shay away from it.

Some snake oil salesman on the boards tried selling that crap as an alternative and few years ago. It didn’t go over too well lol.

1 Like

SH isn’t stable over 16%. You can make it higher but it will rapidly degrade back to 16%

Then degrades to 12% within a few months after manufacture

Then slowly degrades to zip!

Calcium hypo is a pain to mix. I thought I was a genius the first time I bought a tub of it! High %, low cost, easy transport, sounds amazing!

Useless messy lumpy sloshy crap!

1 Like

I may be misunderstanding this but I think the higher % that your pool company is referring to just means that it takes less powder to make your mixture. Please correct me if i’m wrong.

The percentages are different because they are different products.

SH is sodium hypochlorite, NaClO, and pressure washers buy it as liquid at 12-16% active ingredient

If it’s labelled 72% it’s a powder and a DIFFERENT chemical called calcium hypochlorite, Ca(ClO)₂

Hope that helps

1 Like