Searched for an answer, couldn't find one. Recommendations for storing smaller amounts of SH?

Hello all,

I won’t be able to have a dedicated truck to my business for at least the first couple of months, so I will need to be loading/unloading equipment all the time. Because of this, I figure I probably shouldn’t buy a 55 gallon drum of SH, and should probably store it in small gallon quantities. Since sunlight and heat kills it, what is a good way to store SH in smaller quantities?

I think you answered your own question. Keep it away from heat and out of the sunlight.

1 Like

I have some that is 3 months old…was in the summer heat and in the light part of every day…still works fine. Bleach going bad is way overblown.

Purchase it in 20 litre containers like these.

An approved container will be durable, ventilated and opaque. Store the containers in a shaded and ventilated area, on or near the ground because they are heavy and make sure a leak or spill won’t escape your storage area.

1 Like

Thanks - do most pool supply stores sell these containers?

No idea mate it in these containers from a chemical supplier. I return the containers for a credit as they are reusable.

Pool Chlorine is usually only 10% or 12.5% but if you are buying from a smaller supplier, or storing a while, you might want to anticipate it actually being a lower % because it loses strength over time.

1 Like

I use similar to these for storage on the trucks

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you guys.

I use these.
They are dot approved
I buy them where I buy my SH.

Remember to get vented caps!

How many km does a litre of petro last mate

I won’t get them with vented caps. I don’t want fumes in my shop. Plus it kills dolphins

They only vent under pressure when the container gets hot. Like petrol tanks.
It makes a mess when a bottle of SH goes pop.
It might only be a problem in hotter places like here

It gets over a 100 degrees regularly here and I have never had that happen in 10 years, but the plastic is much thicker than the bottle that you showed in your pic. I guess the thin plastic is the culprit.

I have noticed that bottled water containers are so thin now that they practically twist in half when you open them.

1 Like

That bottle is pretty thick. Pretty sure I could drive over it or drag it for a few kilometres.

They weep a bit out the vent holes on hot days in the van.
My gas cans aren’t vented and swell up like balloons

For gas cans

1 Like

All day. The new spouts are garbage. They sell these at Menards as “water spouts”. Lol

Jerry jugs

5 gallons