Pressure washing of rubber gym floor mats?

I have the owner of a weight gym who has asked me to pressure wash the rubber mats that he has on the floor of most of his gym. Hmmm, well, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a good idea or they couldn’t be pressure washed. Is there any reason this could not be done, has anyone else done such a thing, is there a prescribed “right” way to do it? I can soft or pressure wash them either using or not using cleaning solution. I can use only cold water. I would liek to, in the end, have them be clean as well as smelling clean, so there may have to be use of som ebleach involved. And how would I price that? In the next day or two I can step off the area and give some idea as to how much it is. As far as I know, the guy’s going to reove them from the gym himself and lay them out in a parking lot for me to do. Really, this is a lot of area, I’m thinking around $300 at least.

We do similar commercial work. $350.00 the first hour and $250.00 per hour thereafter. We stay as long as they want. That way, they are in complete control of how “clean” they get their mats.

We use a 10 gpm hot box so our production rates are more than acceptable.

Cool, thanks! My equipment is much more basic so it’d take me longer to do
the same amount of area, but that gives me an idea of what a flat price
should be. Do you use detergent, or just hot water? What’s your general
method? Any tips for using pressurized water on such mats? Do you typically
do one or both sides of the mats? Thanks…

The example I used was cleaning steel grates and that was turbo and hot water. If I was doing sweaty rubber, I would try a downstream F-13 application and surface cleaner.

F-13 is just a guess but you gotta start somewhere. :slight_smile:

Wow! This sounds like a different Pressurecat! I hope he stays!
(Meant as a compliment)

1 Like

I would seriously suggest you doing a trial run on one mat for free so you can get an idea of what’s involved, how long it will take, and last but not least so you can be sure you’re not going to damage them.

Do you recommend I pressure wash them, and if so, should I use soap or any
kind of cleaning solution? Or should I soft wash? If they smell, I’m going
to use solution that includes bleach. But that’s good advice to do one as a
trial before. I’ll do it on the underside of the mat. I’m doing the guy’s
house soon so I’ll just see to it that he has a mat there for me to try
cleaning. I’m one way or the other seeing this being around $400. There is
a LOT of area to be cleaned. I have yet to measure one mat and see how much
footage that’s going to be going by how many there are.
J

I honestly don’t know about how you would go about cleaning them. I guess it depends on what they’re made of. I would imagine that the manufacturer has a recommended procedure. Be careful with bleach, unless they’re white you might discolor them. Hot water would probably be a good disinfectant. You might be able to just scrub on some soap with a soft bristle brush and rinse it off. If you do use pressure I would start out very light so you don’t risk leaving divets and lines in the soft rubber.

Sounds like something that will test my skills as a pressure washer, but
i’ll be able to do some tests on one of them first at least.

When you believe in what you’re doing, you are twice as strong.

I heard they also clean bubblegum from the bottom of armadillos and pressure wash used enema bags from New Zealand. What an awesome company. Maybe they should randomly spam washing forums

Leave lil ol NZ out of this! We can’t be you’re scapegoat for everything (because it’s not our fault and also because we are a sheep based economy… no goats here to be scaped)

How did you get on with the job? Did you complete it successfully?

Thanks for asking but i didn’t do it yet, also, i ultimately didn’t get any
of the questions i asked here answered as far as exactly how to do the
washing w the equip i have.

Seems like you might be the first person here to wash rubber mats. After you do the job can you come back and tell us what worked and how it went?

Will do.

Though it’s a tough task but not impossible. Several people used a sealant with these mats to make cleaning easier. As the sealant fills all the pores but it has a maintenance issue, we have to re –apply it one to two times in a year.