PayPal or Square?

From what I’ve learned there very similar as far as interest. What’s your .02? Or do you use the merchant services provided by your bank?

Checks only. No way for everyone to have a card reader. Easier to just open the mail box everyday

1 Like

I use square

That being said cash, and check are king. Once i started using square for a while and looked how much they where “taking” it adds up quick. If the customer wants to pay by credit i will still let them but prefer the other two.

Innocent is a bigger company with employees so i can see not wanting employees with readers. But if it just you than you should have a credit reader. Even still with the software you can invoice people and i have a few customers who want that.

Square.
We prefer checks but these days it seems technology is king so usually electronic payments most often.

I’m right there with you on the cash/check. How do you factor in the 2.75% that is charged for the transaction. One business owner said “it’s the cost of doing buisness” I’m not to impressed with that. Maybe I’m being silly I dunno.

1 Like

Every retailer has to pay for your CC transactions ever notice how alot of your Mom and Pop shops have a minimum on your purchase? This is to cover them on the fees that it costs to run your CC. Most retailers lease the PinPads they use in stores paying a monthly fee to just have them. So I agree its the cost of doing business and giving the customer what they want.

1 Like

That makes sense. Guess it’s just something to keep in mind when providing an estimate to figure in the amount that overhead is going cost be it fees, fuel, chem, man hours, insurance etc…

banks suck, its outrageous with what they get away with. Anybody have it factored in to the price they offer then offer a discount of 3% to pay check I wonder how that would go over. I have yet to get one but do see the need to at least have it for those out of town.

I use square. Of course I prefer cash or check but people love technology these days and most times people aren’t home when we clean. So my CRM (customer factor) is integrated with Square, so when I send people invoices after the job is done, they simply click the link in the email that says “Pay Invoice”. They put in their card info, the money goes to my square account and the customer factor automatically marks the invoice paid and sends the customer a receipt. It’s a fast and extremely streamlined process. I do charge a 3% fee for amounts over $500. And most people who use cards for amounts that big are happy to pay it since they are using the card to get miles or points or whatever.

This method may cost a little bit to have in place, but I value my time and surely don’t want to be chasing money.

1 Like

There are tons of processors out there, not just Square and Paypal. Competition is pretty stiff. You need to review the fix monthly cost, the cost per transaction including difference between commercial cards and consumer cards and you need to look at how long it takes for them to put the money in your account. For my pressure washing business I am not so concerned about float so I go for lowest transaction cost AND I put an upcharge for people using credit cards. I have found roof cleaning/pressure washing customers are fine with that.

Richard
Apex Pressure Washing Marysville WA

We use square, but we tell the customer upfront there is a charge for using their card and that virtually guarantees a check at the end of the day, at least for us. That being said our contract also says payment due upon completion of the project and the customer is satisfied with the walkthrough. My kid brother has been making boatloads of money for years helping small businesses add credit card software through their website I just haven’t figured out a way to get paid immediately at the end of a project that way. Chick-Fil-A, Sonic, Dairy Queen, and a few commercial real estate companies we’ve done work for pay 30 days after invoice and a school district that we did all their bleacher seats in all their stadiums paid 60 days after invoice. Sometimes you’re at the will of the policies of municipal and commercial jobs you do so make sure you have plenty of residential work to fill in the gaps or a line of credit.

Google Wallet is also an option, never knew about it until one of my customers taught me a few weeks ago.