Ok guys here's a question for ya

So far my short experience on this forum has been good. Good advice from a few guys on here that I appreciate. Being new I am nervous to screw up but know that screwing up is learning, however screwing up means messing up peoples houses which no one on here wants to do obviously. I am concerned about oxidized vinyl and really feel uncomfortable with the whole thing. I understand the easy answer is to avoid oxidized vinyl all together but after realizing it exists ive become way more conscious about it and realized almost every house ive come in contact with here in NY that looks filthy and could use a good wash is oxidized. Is this normal? have you guys seen this too? If someone can give me some insight on the whole oxidized vinyl issue i would GREATLY appreciate it.

I’ve never done one that wasn’t oxidized. No big deal. Just softwash it with your regular HW mix. The oxidation will stay on unless you scrub or use high pressure. If someone wants you to get it off, that’s considered restoration work and you need to charge about 3-4 times what a regular HW would be.

1 Like

I know this is probably a rookie topic so thanks for you response. You’ve never had a problem down streaming a house with softwash technique where the oxidation came off in some spots or became exposed because you washed away the dirt that might have been masking it? I did a house for a friend as my first one and was left with not so great results. Squid was really good about explaining what my problem was (dawn dish soap and black soap tip for rinsing ) but that has made me kind of nervous to tackle another house wash because everything looks great when its wet and clean but once it dries and your left with blotchy mess it really sucks. hopefully guys who see these pics dont think I’m a complete failure I’m embarrassed enough I just dont want to make this mistake again

and just for reference, with the picture that has the white streak looking like a drip, i only let the chems dwell for not even 10 mins before i rinsed like a madman (knowing now i rinsed with the wrong tip)

Most vinyl houses will start oxidizing in a few years around here. Just show homeowner before you clean but around here most know it. Or just put in your scope of work that a hw doesn’t include oxidation removal. You’re just a cleaner, not a miracle worker, unless they want to pay for it. I always quote a $1 per sq ft of siding for removing oxidation and they immediately decide they don’t want, lol.
Just softwash house like you can find instructions to in a 1000 places, and it won’t be a problem. I even use a soft brush around front door sometimes if wash hasn’t gotten home really clean, that usually doesn’t remove it. You’ll be fine.

Those pics don’t have anything to do with your mix or dwell , mainly that you rinsed too much and too hard.

I’m dealing with this on a house I cleaned about a 2 weeks ago. I was told to DS f13 and rinse with the soap tip and it should even it out

Home owner isn’t happy. Told them I’d try the f13 but wasn’t a100% fix after this I will have to charge them if they want me to do anything else to it.

I think the best way to fix that is some vinyl renew … u have to get a soft brush and scrub that whole side top to bottom and it should even things out… if you miss a spot scrubbing you will c it so make sure u hit every spot… what I had to do was put some renew in a pump sprayer spray it let it dwell then scrub with a brush you will see a lot of white stuff come off that’s the oxidation and just do a section at a time

How did you manage to make those patterns? Were you rinsing with a 0 degree tip?

That was after I tried to reclean and just used garden hose

thanks for the responses guys i appreciate it. I just ordered a 4 piece downstream nozzle kit and I dont plan on using the black soap tip to rinse anymore. I dont think ill feel comfortable until I clean a house and it dries and doesnt look the way those above pics do.

I use a black tip to rinse never had a problem. What is a “4 piece down stream nozzle kit” are you talking about a JRod? That has nothing to do with down streaming. It is just a convient way to carry 4 nozzles. You still have to choose the correct 4 nozzles for the gpm/pressure of your machine.