Not sure how to bill this grease spill. Newbie needs help

> Hey all. I’ve got a window cleaning company that’s offering its first year of power washing and I’m somewhat stuck in thought on how to charge.
Received a pre-hours emergency call for a grease spill at the Wendy’s here in town. Showed up and the spill turned out to be a giant puddle in he parking lot. It took two guys about 6 hours of some pretty messy work but got it taken care of. Being this green, I don’t want to miss something I should have charged for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Good on you do asking for advice. I’m a muppet and make my mistakes all myself (not recommended!!?

I assume this was unquoted? Are these guys regular customers? I am assuming not.

1. You need to charge for 12 hours labour at your regular rate
  2. You are entitled to/deserve to/should charge an “out of hours”/“emergency”/“oh ■■■■ the drive thru is a slippery law suit waiting to happen” additional charge. A minimum of at least one hour labour would not unreasonable.
  3. If you used more consumables or there was a significant “yuck” factor involved , you may choose to charge a higher hourly rate than your regular work.

In a nutshell. You went beyond usual. Charge beyond usual. Don’t be a crazy ripoff. Live happily ever after :+1:t2:

1 Like
 Believe you me,   I've learned the hard way.     Now I try to ask when I'm in a pinch.     
Yes,  the job was unbid.

“Need to have it done right now” :money_mouth_face:
No we are not their regular maintenance/ upkeep. Although, I did try to be.
There was a definite gross factor. Ended up with a shovel for about an hour or more.

Looks like a fat guy melted in the sun

2 Likes

First, you need to contain the area. by Blocking off all drains.

Second, identify the oil. From the photo, it looks like food grease. Use the correct Chemical for removal

Thirdly, get a permit for discharge if you do not have one, from the waste management company/ Sewer facility.

Fourth, use a dry mixture to scoop up the crease. Kitty Liter works best.9 Some better than others)

Fifth, hot water for emulsifying your detergent with the grease. Hotter the better.

If you want to price or would like to know more about how to remove the stains, call me at 510-612-0437. I will help you

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. Got the job taken care of and it turned out great.

CAT LITTER!!! Put down cat litter and it will soak up all the “stuff”, what ever it is. Then use a shovel and scoop up the dirty cat litter into thick commercial garbage bags and then treat the oil stain like any other, Degreaser and hot water. Job done. 2 guys and 6 hours is crazy. That should not have taken more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours with cat litter. Based on how it looked I probably would have charged around $450.