Non-bleach cleaning methods

Does anyone have any experience cleaning roofs without bleach? I’ve read some good things about sodium per carbonate (hydrogen peroxide based) cleaners. The caveat to using them is you may need to spray down the roof using lower pressure. I know there’s a lot of info out there that is negative regarding pressure washing roofs and I’m sure if you’re up there blasting away with 2500psi, that will probably dislodge granules. I would imagine running under 1000psi from 12-16" away wouldn’t do any more harm than a rain storm. I’ve tested some higher pressure on some leftover shingles that I had lying around and it didn’t seem to do any damage. I should note that I have not washed any roofs yet, but I know there are a lot of roofs around my area that are in dire need of cleaning. It sounds like a lot of guys use SH mix and roof snot. Some rinse, some don’t. Is the reluctant use of the sodium per carbonate due to a “don’t fix what’s not broke” kind of thing?

You need to use the search function on here before you even THINK about cleaning a roof. When I was starting out I read for a week solid and, without having to ask anyone anything, felt pretty good about cleaning my first roof. I did have to ask some questions later, but that was just to confirm that I understood what I was reading.

If you’ll search the forum for roof cleaning info, you’ll find out real fast that your power washer has no business on a roof. Read through the forum and learn how to do it right, including what equipment to use and what NOT to use…Don’t even think about doing a roof until then or you will get yourself in a real bad spot, real fast!

Also, do a search about the non-bleach products. They have a horrible reputation for a reason…they don’t work. There is only one way to PROPERLY clean an asphalt shingle roof, and it involves SH.

1 Like

I have been doing a lot of research on roofs and I have not touched one yet. In fact, I’ve been doing reading and such for months and I haven’t started my first job yet. In regards to the power washer having no business on a roof, I understand the stigma there, but being able to dial down the pressure along with large orifice nozzles (the ones used for DS’ing), it drops the pressure down to a level that you can put your hand in front of with no problem - just for rinsing purposes. Like I stated, I would never blast away at shingles, or siding for that matter.

Sorry, but after cleaning roofs since 1989, I had to laugh just a little when you compared 1000 psi to a rainstorm. Even 300 pounds per square inch will take a good % of granules off of a 10 year old or more roof. You have it right on the button though with “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” I use a 60 psi 5gpm pump and 200’ of 1/2"id hose and spray shingles with 25 to 35% chlorine and never knock a granule off! The only thing you have to think much about, is plants = Tarps and water, water, water.
http://www.bergmanpressurewashing.com/

I wasn’t being literal with the 1000 psi comment. I should have been more specific. I currently use a jrod for down streaming and with my machine being dialed all the way down, using a large orifice tip, my gauge doesn’t even register psi at that point. That’s the route I was considering using for rinsing a roof. Moving on, so if is the “ain’t broke” mentality, at least in your case, it makes me think of the PEX vs. copper debate I read about. Both methods work, but copper guys refuse to accept PEX as a method of plumbing, even though it works and has benefits over copper. Many will say both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. My point to the post was more supposed to be geared towards alternative methods, so I’ll ask directly, have you had any experience with sodium per carbonate as a roof cleaner? Seems like everyone bashing sodium per carbonate hasn’t actually tired to use it.

First, I don’t think looking for new or better ways of doing something as trying to reinvent the wheel. And if the " if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it" approach applied to everything well how much fun would Nascar be if we were watching model T’s do laps?

I’ve looked at Sodium PerCarbonate as a viable option but ruled it out for a couple of reasons. The biggest one is that Hydrogen Peroxide though friendlier for the plants is worse for humans. From what I’ve learned it can burn the skin and if it gets into your eyes well it’s a chemical burn on the eye balls. So I just decided that I can wear my safety glasses, with side shields, and a respirator / mask to apply SH. But going with Na2CO3·1.5H2O2 I would need long sleeves (at least if not full tyvek or slicker suit), rubber gloves, and probably a face shield to apply. Too hot for all that where I live and imaging the scare to client and or potential clients who live nearby.

Have I actually tried it no, is it viable yes, do I want to explore it not at this point. But hey if you want to give it a go why not buy some and get after it? Validate your own conclusion!

Thank you for your honesty. I’m actually going to use a mix some for concrete wash. I’ve tested some on my own walkway and it seemed to work well. I used a mix on my roof, but I really didn’t have a bad roof before, so it’s hard to say what the actual results would have been. I know that it did get a good layer of build up off of it. It’s nothing I was planning on using for a house wash of course.

Just use bleach.

Birminghampropressurewash.com

Downstream is not a good option for roof cleaning. Do some more research

Xtreme Cleanz
Birmingham Alabama

The point of this thread was to see if anyone has had any success with alternative methods to clean roofs. Was kind of looking for more than “just use bleach”. As far as the down streaming, I didn’t say I was doing that to clean the roofs. I said I would use the jrod nozzles for a low pressure rinse. However, you could explain your answer further. This could help others in the long run. I know that many of the threads I’ve read where people take time to contribute something worthwhile like Acadiana did, has been of extreme value to me and to others as well.

No offense, but Acadian doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about either. Just posting some chemical compounds doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about. ANYONE who does know what they’re talking about and who has been doing roof cleaning for any amount of time will tell you “just use bleach” The ARMA (look at their website) says to use bleach. If you look at many shingle manufacturers’ fine print you will see that using anything other than bleach with surfactant to clean the roof will void the warranty…there’s a reason for that. “Reinventing the wheel” is a good idea sometimes, but replacing it with a square one never works out.

2 Likes

My reference to what Acadiana posted was that he contributed more than just a few words. He gave his reasons why and it contributed to a discussion. I don’t know why things have to get like this on these boards. The two sentences you posted “The ARMA (look at their website) says to use bleach. If you look at many shingle manufacturers’ fine print you will see that using anything other than bleach with surfactant to clean the roof will void the warranty” is a good contribution to the conversation. I have read that the ARMA recommends 50/50 laundry bleach & water mix. As far as using other cleansers voiding the warranty, do you have some references handy you could post to verify that information?

On the topic of the ARMA, they also recommend rinsing the roof with low pressure, which I have been scolded for even mentioning. They say that allowing it to dry can prevent complete rinsing. Most roof guys I read posts from say they never rinse.

1 Like

First off, as I said, I did not intend to offend you or anyone else, including Acadian. I merely observed that incorrect information had been posted.

Thank you for confirming what I said about ARMA’s instructions.

I have neither the time, nor the desire to do the reading of the fine print for you, and if I posted it that would be copyright infringement. The best way to find that out is to check the dozens of different manufacturers’ websites, as I and others have done to educate ourselves.

As far as rinsing goes, it’s not the rinsing that people are concerned about, it’s the use of anything higher than garden hose pressure to rinse. The reason I said that using your pressure washer to rinse is a bad idea is because, even if you use the most minute amount of pressure, you’re going to be seen and known as “the guy who uses a pressure washer to clean roofs”…YOU will know that’s not accurate, WE’LL know that’s not accurate, but your customers and onlookers (POTENTIAL customers) will not know or care…all they’ll see is a “pressure washer” being used in the roof.

If you want to rinse, use a garden hose. If you are convinced that you’ll need a bit higher than garden hose pressure, get an electric booster pump. Just remember: you don’t HAVE to rinse. It’s better to focus your time and research energy on how to make and apply your mix, control runoff, and avoid killing plants and trees than it is to focus on rinsing.

1 Like

I should use the disclaimer again that I’m still learning and I haven’t touched a roof yet. I’ve spent 3 months educating myself and practicing the best I know how and I’m just starting my first siding job next week. I don’t expect anyone to do the footwork for me and I don’t think that posting a link would constitute copyright infringement. I simply thought that if you had some info readily available, that you could post it.

I understand what you’re saying about rinsing and it makes sense. I wasn’t trying to focus on that. I just wanted to bring up the point because it’s so frowned upon. I can understand wanting to quote the ARMA, but why leave out other things they recommend, like rinsing.

I will say that I have looked over about a half dozen or so (and I’m still looking) warranty information on shingle manufacturers. I have yet to see one that specifically states that cleaning with something other than bleach will void the warranty. In fact, I read in several, that any cleaner - organic or not - has the potential to void the warranty. In fact, reading the warranty information, many shingle manufactures - depending on the age of the roof - will actually pay for the roof to be cleaned if it shows algae growth within a certain time period. It seems that many are using something to pretreat the shingles in the manufacturing process. I’ve also read that using properly diluted copper sulfate mixture will prevent algae growth for a long period of time. If that were to be applied to a roof, rinsing would be a must at that point. Not sure if anyone does anything like that, but that may open another can of worms.

My ultimate goal is just to educate myself and others about the process. I do other research other than just forums, however, I like to have constructive discussions with those who are in the trenches every day. I meant no disrespect to any professional who cleans roofs for a living. I’m still in awe of how big this industry is and until around a year ago, didn’t have a clue it existed.

1 Like

paralysis by analysis

2 Likes

WOW!

The opinions I express on here, in other places, and in person are mine and mine alone. It’s true I have not been in this industry for as long as some, it’s also true that there are quit a few people who frequent this forum, and others like it, that are way more knowledgeable than me and surprisingly the vast majority are open, honest, and forthcoming with sharing information and experience.

However, there are some who have become tired of answering the same question time and time again. There are even some who take the “well no one helped me, I had to figure it out…” position. Here’s a news flash, if your tired of answering the same question over and over then don’t respond, you have that choice, YOU DON’T HAVE TO RESPOND! < It seems to some that typing in caps adds credibility, thought I’d try it.

Another interesting fact, if you had to figure it out on your own it could be that A.) You are a pioneer in the industry, your one of the original pressure washers from way back. I’m guessing your first commercial job was for Noah cleaning the Ark after the storm? B.) You started before the Internet and either it was too far a walk down the gravel roads to the public library or you can’t read? C.) Maybe, just maybe you you were a bit of a dick and no one liked you so they wouldn’t help you. Cause you surely come across as a bitter, disgruntled prick now, no offense. < I said no offense so that means you can’t be offended and or I don’t give a shit if you are!

I have learned a great deal from reading through the post here. That’s not to say everything written here is 100% accurate but there’s tons of knowledge, experience, and for the most part a genuine desire to see each other succeed.

“The first to help you up are the ones who know how it feels to have fallen…” Source Unknown

1 Like

ATLAS1 just gave you the facts. The ARMA and some of the roofing manufacturers specify using bleach-but NOT PRESSURE WASHING.
They offer warranties that can be voided, testing chemicals other than the 2 they specify- Bleach and TSP. Read for yourself below-Click On “MANUFACTURER SPECIFICS”-
http://www.bergmanpressurewashing.com/Manufacturer_Specifics.html

Like I stated earlier, I read the ARMA site. I also stated I understand that they discourage pressure washing - I never stated that I planned to. However, like I told you before, I wasn’t serious about the comment I made earlier.

As far as your links, I read that GAF recommends bleach and TSP, nothing about voiding the warranty if you don’t. I looked at the Owens Corning site and it says nothing about the warranty being voided for using something other than bleach.

There’s no need for things to get out of control here. If I was out screwing up peoples roofs, that would be different. I would be upset if someone was giving the industry I’m a part of a bad name. However, I’m not. What I’m being told are some things that, in all seriousness, I can’t find.

I still give more respect to Acadiana. He gave me his honest opinion and didn’t get all bent out of shape because I asked the question. I don’t understand why others can’t do the same. I made no indication that I’m trying to “revolutionize the industry” by introducing “new and improved ways” of doing things. I have attacked no one personally or professionally, so maybe everyone just needs to relax.

I’m going to try and sum this up because this has not gone the way I would’ve like it to. If I’ve missed something, please add to it constructively.

There are other alternative methods out there, but just be careful. It may be possible to void the manufacturer’s warranty on shingles depending on the method used. It is unlikely that homeowners know who manufactured their shingles, so it’s probably safest to use a soft wash cleaning procedure using the recommended methods by the ARMA. They do recommend rinsing, but most don’t because they either don’t want to risk damaging shingles by using too much pressure or it would cost the client more because of the time spent, when you could let mother nature do the job. It seems to be a personal preference thing in that area. Although a pressure washer can be dialed down and used for rinsing purposes, it could be misconstrued by onlookers or if a shingle manufacture wanted to, they could simply void the warranty since you used a pressure washer, regardless of the pressure - or lack thereof - used in the rinsing process.

1 Like