New Startup -used 4gpm hot or 8gpm cold

Hello all, newbie here from Los Angeles. Would you start out with a used 4gpm hot or a new 8gpm cold?

Mostly doing residential, but I want to get into gas stations and other parking lots and sidewalks to get rid of gum.

If you plan on doing commercial sidewalks, hot water is the way to pop gum. You might consider a 5.5 gpm hot water unit - go with 8gpm hot water if your budget allows.

1 Like

Hi Jorbar

Many homes top out at 6 maybe 7 gpm. You will starve your 8 gpm pump for water.

A cold machine won’t do as well with gum as a hot machine.

I would start with a cold 4000 psi 4 gpm machine and learn the business before investing in more expensive gear. I start year #10 in February.

Jim Boucher
Owner, Pressure Power
503-473-5970
jimboucher2@msn.com
pressurepowerllc.com

Sounds like solid advice from a veteran. Thanks from me as well!

I think thats good advice. Theres a bunch of stuff on craigslist, and my local repair shop has one for sale. Would you get a Landa for $400 on craigslist thats at least an hour a way, or a john deer 3800 4gpm with a new pump and 30 day warranty for $450 from local repair shop?

I would ask how OLD they are and how many hours on the pump, and the type of use (commercial? then no…residential? more likely if they stored it properly. ) The brand (Landa or John Deere) is only a reflection of customer service/warranties. ANY brand is just putting an engine and a pump on a frame…they aren’t making them themselves. I have 3 Landas and 1 DeWalt. They ALL have Honda engines. General or AR pumps are good. The one with the NEW pump would be my choice if it had a Honda engine.