New here looking for advise

Dustin, what’s helped me the most has been reading forums, experiments with many chemicals, not being afraid to hop in and get working. Speed comes with experience but you should always leave the projects clean, no matter how long it takes (in the beginning). Basic knowledge will show you that there are 4 principles of cleaning (volume, pressure, chemical, heat).
In regards to volume, 4 gpm will get you started but believe me, I have 2- 4gpm machines and can’t wait to upgrade to 8 gpm. Rinsing is essential to wash away contaminates and to flood areas where chemicals meet the earth and you will spend much time rinsing. The lower gpm’s, the longer it will take.
Pressure is important when approaching concrete but If you find yourself using pressure to clean decks, fences, houses, or heaven forbid a rooftop, you are going to damage something.
Find a good chemical mix you can rely on and you will make life easy and profitable. Experiment, read, call vendors, etc…
I personally do not have a “hot box” so I work strictly with cold water and when dealing with residential I can’t see myself needing hot water at this point.
The main thing is to realize that your skills, knowledge and equipment will evolve with trial and error, study and experience. I started by renting, I now have 2 - 4 gpm machines, the bandit roof cleaning system from pressure Tek, surface cleaners, etc… And my rig is very basic still!!! I can’t wait to set up a trailer, but… You’ve gotta start somewhere!! Good luck!!!

1 Like

Good Stuff!

1 Like

Very helpful! I’ve been researching and the price jump from the 4 gpm units to the larger ones had me wondering if they were really necessary for a beginner that probably won’t be seeing a ton of business to begin with. You have to spend money to make money though.

My 4 gpm’s get the job done. My skills and knowledge are outpacing my machines ability (if that makes sense). Be prepared for that inevitability with this type of machine. Feel free to ask me anything… No matter how big or small.
Have a great day and be profitable!
R

1 Like

I started off with a 3 GPM machine and after a year of painstakingly rinsing and doing long jobs that were never ending I did my research and purchased an 8GPM from KEC Supplies. It was one of those moments where I looked back at the past year and though “what the heck was I even doing before”. 8GPM machines and proper HW mix and chems really made all the difference for my company. I am able to be on multiple properties in one day and still have some energy after I’m done work. Most jobs I do now I am able to double or even close to triple what I was making an hour last year.
I’m glad I started out with a smaller machine because now I really appreciate what I have learned from this forum and what my 8gpm does for me.

Britton Emerson
Emerson Exteriors
Victoria BC Canada

Ironically, my mother just bought a 4gpm(I think) dewalt pressure washer. She offered to let me use it on my first few jobs if I clean her barn for her. I’m trying to familiarize myself with the chemicals you guys use and the applictions for the different ones now.

Take her up on her offer.
That’s a great way to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource

Just an update. I’m starting to accumulate parts to build a trailer setup. I already have a part time job besides my full time with the fire dept so im trying to get setup in the mean time before I leave my part time to start pressure washing. Thursday im going to pick up a dual axle 6x10 trailer for $550 and a 275 gallon tank with aluminum frame and pallet for $90. I’m going to plumb the tank to use with an 8 gpm machine so I’ll need advice there when the time comes. I think it will be a tight fit with that trailer but I can make it work. Thanks again for the helpful posts.

Hey Dustin,
I’m not far from you, we have a few accounts we service every month in your area. Feel free shot me an email if you have any questions.

nick@hotwaterpressurewashing.net

Shouldn’t have a problem with 6X 12 trailer. We have 6.5 x 12 dove tail. So the last two feet of mine is slanted and that’s where my 65 gallon roof mix sits. We have the same tank and a hot water skid. Here is a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a 6x10 enclosed that fits 275 gallon tank and skid unit as well as a place for a big guy surface cleaner. Additional room for chems and tools and generator if needed. Maintenance is tight but doable. I plan to upgrade to a larger trailer, but it’s enough to get your company rolling. Make sure when you set it up, as with any trailer remember to distribute your weight accordingly. Lots of variables to consider for individual situations.

Sent from my VS876 using Pressure Washing Resource mobile app

I appreciate everybody offering they’re e-mails and phone numbers. I’ll keep you guys in mind and will probably be calling if i need a little advice.

I got the trailer and the tank. Just trying to get up a list of parts i need to plumb it and get it done now.

[MENTION=8855]dutin[/MENTION]

Dustin - I am late to chime in here. This guide could help on the other area of running a business…the insurance area.

Best of luck to you. Reach out to us if you need anything.

AmyPower Washer Insurance Guide.pdf (367 KB)

I am starting off slow as well… practice at the station if you get some down time…makes you look like your taking initiative…everyone is happy…your learning and the chief gets a free pressure cleaning to tidy up the station… I’m new to downstreaming…so thats what I did today… practiced on chemicals and set up!

Charlie w/ Nozzlemen’s Pressure Washing

Keep reading, and keep asking questions. I’ve learned a lot reading up on this business before I opened up. I. Sure glad I did !

Welcome. Become a full PWRA member and start getting discounts on everything you need. 2nd aug8-9 head to Nashville for the convention. 3rd welcome again. Im Alex. If you need anything let me know. :0)

It’s funny you mention that, i just got done doing some pressure washing here at the station before I saw this! Unfortunately I started another summer job on the side that takes a lot of my time but I’m going use the next few months to gather equipment and to research so I can get started when this job finishes up. Not necessarily a bad thing but I’m just ready to get the ball rolling.

I appreciate it. I’ll be giving you a call when the time comes!

Good morning. I’m an ex law enforcement guy just trying to get in the business and noticed your 704 area code. I’m in Indian Trail and wondered if I might could contact you with some questions also. I’m really confused about buffer tank set up and pumps.
I appreciate any time and help you might be able to offer
David
704 771 6669