New engine from harbor freight

Has anyone been brave enough to get a predator engine from harbor freight and use on their skid unit? They have a 22hp engine for about 600 bucks. I have a vanguard now and have looked at newer vanguard engines. Just wondering. I know some of the roof cleaners have got the compressors from there for the air pump system and really liked it.

I considered doing that myself, but after months of research, reading reviews, etc, I felt like the results were just too inconsistent to bet my living on. Some people have gotten engines and loved them; others have had nothing but problems from day one. It seems like there were almost equal amounts of pros and cons. However, if you look at the Honda GX 630/690s, the pros FAR outweigh the cons across the board. To me it was worth the money to go ahead and get the best I could.

As far as the compressors are concerned, the ones that people speak so highly of are powered by Honda motors, even though they could have put a Predator on them. That says a lot to me. (When I upgrade to an AODD pump (next season) the Northern Tool compressor will be powering it)

Just my $0.02

I forgot to add my favorite quote from @ Tim4 “Don’t confuse not spending money with ‘saving money’”

1 Like

I have one on a 5gpm hot water machine with a 3kw generator and love it. I bought the two year warentee with it. If there is ANY problem at all I un bolt four bolts, pull the belt pulley off, and trade it in for a new one no questions asked. I have had great luck with harbor freight engines as long as they are taken care of. But they are a 2-3 year investment, if they last longer then it’s just gravy. Although I have some smaller engines with a couple thousand hours on them. It all depends on your business model. Buying these engines allowed me to grow my business quicker, but I am pretty mechanically inclined as well.