New boards on trailer: stain, paint, or something better?

Thanks to whoever replies,

I put brand new 2x10x16 boards on my trailer and I’m wondering what would be the next best step to protect them and ensure I get my money worth. Any tips or ideas would be super appreciated.

My buddy thinks I should use the bedliner spray for the entire surface. It sounds good but I’m not sure how it would stick to the wood. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Ellison

I stained mine. For water it works great. beads up and rolls off. 12.5% SH is really hard on it though and it bleaches right through the stain

1 Like

Says the guy that needed two tries to make that sick burn.

1 Like

Looks nice… do you happen to remember the brand and color? I have a 15’ dovetail i am about to sell, and just cleaned the wood on it… about to hit it with a stain just to spruce it up a bit.

That’s Baker’s Grey Away, and the color is Super Cedar Dark. I used it because I used to refinish decks and had it left over from a job. Bakers Gray Away | Best Fence and Deck Stain | Stain Reviews

Is the trailer you’re selling a 2 axle?

Man this forum is not the place for you. Please keep on down the road

2 Likes

Oh cool, yeah im just about to order some Bakers Gray for the first time to use on fences/decks. Heard really good stuff about it. Looks great on your trailer there. I might order the Super Cedar Gold, because the person whose fence it is going on is partial to clear stains.

Yes. 2 axle, 15’ with 3’ dovetail. Brakes on one axle. Brand new 10 ply tires, and a tool box. It came with the van we bought, and we were going to keep it to use for construction projects, but we no longer want to mess with the construction stuff as much, so are going to sell it.

Going to give the frame a fresh coat of paint as well. Asking $2300, hoping to get at least $2000.

Right now i’m using a 5x8 for washing, and will need to upgrade soon, but i have another 15’ non-dovetail 2 axle that i will probably use. Would rather have a 12’er though, i think.

I like your setup and yeah I’ve stained a few decks so that was my first choice. I guess I was hoping for something different. Probably stain it with a little something for grip.

What are you painting the trailer metal with? I’m in the process of grinding and cleaning

Go with the liner product then https://youtu.be/NzNlf2ACzaI?t=50m57s

I’ve heard good things about it but I was just being cheap since I already had the stain.

1 Like

I keep a bunch of Rustoleum 2X at the shop and touch up the trailer every week. A fender here, a rail there, and then a complete re-coat every winter.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-2x-ultra-cover/semi-gloss

1 Like

I’m using rustoleum rusty metal primer, and topping with rustoleum black gloss protective enamel. Hitting rough spots with metal brush drill attachment and/or sandpaper. Not getting too crazy with it, just knocking the rough stuff down.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-1-qt-Flat-Rusty-Metal-Primer-7769502/100112883

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-32-oz-Black-Gloss-Protective-Enamel-Paint-7779504/100160860

Im not an expert or anything, but i did some researching, and this seemed to be a pretty common and acceptable method.

1 Like

But, if you wanted it from a horses mouth, here is a really good comment someone wrote up about using those products. This post was made in 2008:

[quote=“Dave”]
With over 500 trailers built to date, the best thing I have found is plain ole’ Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and a top Coat of Rustoleum Gloss Enamel. Cost is about $25.00 per gallon for each and about $10.00 for the thinner.

All I do is wipe trailer down with thinners, cut the primer with about 20% thinner and shoot one good coat. No sanding of primer is needed. Mix paint the same way with about a 20% reduction with thinner and spray a couple of coats. The wetter you can spray it the more gloss it retains and smoother it lays out, spray it dry and it will look dull and rough.

I use both siphon feed and HVLP spray guns with equally good results either way. The paint holds up for years and is easy for a customer to get touch up when needed. I’ve got a few customers with well taken care of trailers that are 5 years old that still look almost new.

I have had some people tell me that Rustoleum is cheap junky paint and a poor choice but I swear by it for commercial or industrial use. Dave[/quote]

I’m just using a brush and mini roller to put mine on, though.

Thanks man. I think it’s the way to go with the easy touch up factor being my main decision factor

Thanks for all your help! I’ll post some pics when I finish up

What about you guys with enclosed trailers? How did you protect the plywood? I had a job go through that is going to give me the cash to pick up a new trailer, but I want to make sure it’s as protected as possible.