Need help on the fly

I washed a friends house today. My standard house wash mix. Rinsed well just like always. She texts me saying none of her keys work in her doorknobs now. What the heck? What can be done to remedy this? I just don’t see how this happened because I didn’t even really spray the doors that much to be honest.

Blue painters tape on every keyhole everytime. Wd40 in keyhole should work. Don’t use graphite spray.

2 Likes

Dang. I always electrical tape any exposed outlet but never thought about key holes. Haven’t had any issues up until now. Guess it’s a good thing it’s a friends house.

Bleach mist corrodes the keyholes. Don’t have to spray in it for it mess them up

1 Like

Why dont you use graphite spray? I use graphite spray on all my locks on the trucks and trailers and never had a problem., extremely useful for the garage door and the springs on your trailer door, any ways wd40 is a water repellant and though it has some lubrication properties to it, it really is not a good long term solution for lubercation

Not looking for long term. You need something to get the water and bleach out. Spray graphite in a wet lock and you have cement like gunk.

Who’d a thunk it… Learn something new every day. Like I said I use it all the time especially in winter and never had a problem… But then again I have never used it on a customers door locks, cone to think about it I have never sprayed a customers door locks (with lubricant) so what do I know:)

I always tape door locks, door bells, and even top of outdoor electrical outlet to divert water away. Bleach corrosive as hell. Might not be a problem now, but in a year, you shoot your mix in a lock, going to be all corroded. Customers absolutley love when they see you doing that. If they there I explain why. If not I’ll always “forget” to take off a piece or 2 and will call them later and say oops and explain why. Takes 5min to do a house and I’ve gotten thousands of dollars worth of referrals and that’s probably one reason why.

Here is what I use. Works great and waterproof

2 Likes

I tape up stuff too. But I like the idea of leaving some on and calling them back later. I’m also a big fan of sandwich bags and grocery bags…

Walmart will give you all the bags you want. We use them for pull stations. Blue painters tape is a little cheap @Racer and leaves no residue. Only lasts about 2 hours when wet but that’s generally plenty of time. I pull of a foot or so and stick it on my shirt and pull of little pieces for key holes as I go up pulling door mats and bagging pull stations.

1 Like

I use it also. Good stuff. Just not in wet key holes.

That’s funny. I leave the tape on everything and let them know it’s best to pull it after everything is dry. If they’re not around it’s in their invoice email. :joy:

I did have one guy complain about the two dirty little strips the tape left under the garage door keypad, but otherwise you’re right. They love it!

Baggies though gentlemen? It’s 2017. Latex gloves work beautifully. Stretch over stuff like door knobs, that door bell camera thing, even the outlet cover siding trim.

1 Like

I think the ancient Egyptians used graphite in locks. It works okay. But nowadays you can just squirt some Teflon in there.

Well I’m ancient, so there’s that… Graphite has never let me down so as long as it works why switch?