My motivation for getting started

Gentlemen (and ladies?),

Been lurking for a little while, I am a few weeks away from launching a residential cleaning business. Still getting my business logistics sorted and developing an initial marketing plan. I come from a business background and have a day gig.

Wanted to introduce myself by sharing my motivation for getting into the business. My wife and I are having our second kid next week, a little boy. Nothing like kids to get you motivated to become more financially independent. Trading time for money building another man’s dream just won’t let me bless my kids like I want, so I’m starting a side hustle.

I’ve only scratched the surface with around 65 hours of research on residential cleaning, techniques, equipment, and mixes. I’ve rented a few machines and cleaned a few houses, fences, and decks. I really enjoy the work, and I want to contribute to this industry having a great reputation and want to minimize my mistakes. Ultimately, I’d like to build the business up to a few rigs and hire guys to run them. I know a lot of guys that are having a hard time finding work, and I’d really like to own a business that could give back to people by giving them good jobs.

I’m in West Texas - the dirt is everywhere and the homes are almost exclusively brick. Thousands of miles of old wooden fences ready to be restored. I’m seriously considering starting out with a 6x12 enclosed so I can have the advertising space. Still haven’t decided on a machine. Money is tight. It looks like I’ll have about $2,000 to spend on a machine setup, not including the trailer. I was thinking a 4gpm cold water unit with a quality motor and pump, small buffer tank, and some sort of chemical setup to add efficiency.

Really appreciate the atmosphere of these forums. Have learned a lot already, look forward to diving in.

My motivation is the same except mine is a third kid. I’m foregoing the equipment purchases till next season. Simply booking all weekend jobs and renting. If all goes well this season I’ll have some money in the bank and the experience to put it to good use.

I’ve also kicked around the idea of renting for my first few jobs to increase my equipment budget. The biggest problem I foresee is the added cost cutting into my margins. Every machine around me that will do 4gpm+ is very expensive.

What size machines have you used so far? What’s the difference in price between a 4 and 5.5?

Rinsing is a big time killer, from what i have found. A used 5.5 might be better than a new 4, but im not a seasoned vet, so dont bet the farm on my advice.

I started with a little 2gpm from Home Depot (electric!) and worked my way up to a 3.5gpm from a rental place. That same rental place (Sunbelt) had a larger trailer unit available, it was at least 4gpm, maybe a bit larger but it was $230+ per day. I didn’t rent it.

It’s a big pill to swallow paying $230 per day when a decent entry-level pressure-pro is $1300.

It is great to hear all of the motivation and different ways to get
started. I am also just starting in the industry. My motivation is early
retirement from my daily. I just completed my trailer. YouTube has been a
great guide along with reading the post on this site. Remember everyone’s
entry level is going to be different. I took the all in approach.
Fortunately for me I have a mentor that is going to sub contract me out for
a nice amout of work.

Blessings to you all. Keep your vision and prosper. Never lose sight of
your goal.

Renting a 4 gpm 4k psi and 24 inch surface cleaner is 202 dollars for the weekend where I live. This weekend I have 5 jobs so revenue is over 1000, 200 dollars is expensive but worth it to me considering it about 2000 dollars in equipment.
Having used this machine, it is not what I’ll be buying. I have to rinse using a second pass in the opposite direction and then use the wand.
When I do buy it will 8 gpm, but that means a trailer and all that entails.