My first roof job. HELP please

Hello all I’m about to get my first roof job and I want to make sure I’m going about everything the correct way. First off the roof is an asphalt shingle roof here in south/central FL and has a lot of mold on it. From what I read so far I’d be fine using SH and should fine cutting it down through an inline chemical inductor correct (80% water 20% SH)? I don’t have any fancy LP devices yet because I’m just starting off and working out the back of my truck. I plan on expanding and getting a nicely rigged trailer with stuff to make the job easier. Any how before I get all ADD on you guys… I was planning on spraying the roof down with the SH and after it soaks in for a little bit rinse the roof/chemical off using my LP chemical tip so I don’t damage the shingles. I know I have to be careful with the runoff and plan on sticking a garden hose down the gutters to dilute the SH down and prevent burning the grass. Is this method ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mike

Are you planning on using the pressure washer chemical injector to put the sh on the roof, if so from my experience this will never work. Works great for downstreaming house wash mix but not for roofs. You need a dedicated roof pump to put it on strong enough to clean the roof.
http://m.pressuretek.com/codefakit.html

Matthew Adkins
Adkins Cleaning Solutions
336-338-8705
Greensboro, Nc

1 Like

Yes I was… Maybe I’ll give it a shot and see how well it does. Worst comes to worst I’ll use a pump sprayer to hit the heavily stained areas. I was just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be too strong or dry out the shingles. I’ll throw some gain or something in it to help it stick also. I’ll keep you guys updated and let you know how it comes out. Thank you for the reply

You’re going to end up with blotchy, unbillable results.

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource

1 Like

So just take the time and use a pump sprayer and be done with it?

All our 12 volt pumps are manufactured to Pressure Tek’s specifications and are warrantied against manufacturer defects for a period of 6 months from the date of purchase. - ROOF CLEANING PUMPS & SPRAYER SYSTEMS AGRICULTURAL SUPPLIES / CHEMICALS PUMP

that will set you up

Yes. If you don’t have a roof pump, this will work. Will not be fast but will get the job done.

If that’s your only option. It’s still going to be long and hard to get an even clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource

Pump up sprayer is going to be a pain in the azz… Hopefully you can at least walk the entire roof if your going to use a pump up sprayer.

Since you live in Florida one of the first things I would purchase is a dedicated roof pump because roof washing is huge there. Scratch the pump sprayer and buy a roof pump ASAP… You won’t regret it and not only will you get great results, you won’t put your life in danger playing with a pump-up on top of a roof. Not good.

Yes the roof is easy to walk. It’s a single story home and the pitch is pretty standard for a basic Florida home. I think I’m going to be Sh!t out of luck getting my hands on a roof sprayer by the time I have to do the job. More than likely I’ll be buying a roof sprayer with my profits

Mizzle,

I’d like to help you out, but first the thing you should do is fill out your signature.
Provide us with a little info about you and your company, so we know who we are talking to.

It would be best to order yourself a roof setup. If you don’t have the time for that, go to Northern Tool or TSC. You can get a pump, 100’ of poly braid hose, a ball valve and a couple hose barbs all for under $200. It will pay for itself in the frustration you save by not going at the roof with a pump sprayer. Then if you keep doing roofs, you can upgrade in the future.
You would be on and off the roof so many times with a pump sprayer that it’s ridiculous.

As I said before I’m new into the business in Florida and my name is Mike. I normally just do work on the ground level due to this being a secondary employment for me. I do basic pressure cleaning, driveway sealants, and detail vehicles. I have been asked by several clients that I’ve been doing work for that want me to do their roofs and don’t want to give their business to anyone else due to trust issues. I’m 30 years old primary employment is with a fire rescue agency and due to a recent heart surgery that was caused from stress I decided to get into something I enjoyed on my days off rather than work in a ER. I join the forum to educate myself due to the fact that I’m a perfectionist and won’t tolerate subpar work. Hope this is enough info to form a opinion and I’ll work on a signature.

Thank you very much Mike! I just might take this route until I can afford a trailer and have it setup for efficiency! Thank you again.

Borrow money, credit card, something. But get a 70$ pump, reel $300 kuri hose, 400$ battery 120$ tank 120$. Little over 1k and your gonna make that back in 1-2 jobs to pay it back. Don’t waste your time (customers roof) with DS or Pump sprayer. If you want to be a professional with professional results you need the correct tools. Sorry for being blunt, but it’s (contractors) doing jobs like your about to more than likely (attempt) that end up putting a bad name or misrepresentation of what we do. Once a customer has a bad experience they are always weary and spread the misinformation to others.

LA Pressure Washing LLC
“Taking Pride In What We Do For You”

No need to apologize about being blunt and I couldn’t agree with you more. I told the client that I don’t do roofs because I’m not geared for it currently. He knows I’m more set up for detailing vehicles and I plug my holes with the stuff I can “handle” such as driveways, gutters, soffits, and exterior walls. However he has made it clear to me that he wants me to do my best on it because he’s been working with me on the detailing end of stuff for some time now. I guess it cause down to a comfort/trust issue. I’m just trying to make sure it comes out that it can with what I have. I enjoy the pressure cleaning enough that I plan on dropping the detailing end and going full blown pressure cleaning as soon as I have the funds to be appropriately set up for it.

I understand. Just to let you know though, most roofs I do on 17-2500sqft houses take 30-50 gallons mix depending. That to me is ALOT if pumping and such. Do not Use a back pack sprayer either. When it leaks. You will suffer ;-(

LA Pressure Washing LLC
“Taking Pride In What We Do For You”

You mean chemical burns aren’t fun?!

1 Like

Don’t put yourself in debt to do one roof just to find out you don’t like it. You can make a professional set up for a lot less than 1000 dollars. If you find out you like it, then you can begin to spend more money making a more practical setup.

^^ I’d like to hear more about this :slight_smile:

Ditto. I like to hear multiple routes to do things.