Just went and surveyed my 2nd job, I feel like I screwed up

Hey guys, well I just got into pressure washing and just got my second customer.

The guys house was basically a mansion, I felt like I could handle it in either one very long day, possibly two days. He had a huge front wraparound driveway, then a regular driveway off on the side, then a huge driveway 3x the size of the regular driveway. Okay, over the fence, he had a 2nd dwelling with another driveway, and a back patio that was equivalent to a little more area than the huge driveway.

I wrote the estimate as follows.

front-300 (I feel like I should’ve told him 225 for this front area, but once you go down you can’t go back up)
side driveway small (95.00)
side driveway huge (250.00)
2nd dwelling driveway (95.00)
back patio (300.00)

Grand total = 1040.00
10% discount because “I would like your business, sir” = -104.00
=936.00

He said he didn’t think it’d be almost a thousand dollars to pressure wash his stuff, but said he knew he had a lot of area to cover. He said he’d call me back tomorrow evening at the latest and let me do a little bit of it, so he could see how good my work is, before anything else. I’m afraid that the guy used me for an estimate. Like a dumbass, I offered a free estimate 40min one way away from home.

Live and learn I guess. Maybe I’ll get lucky. I’m fighting the urge to tell him 225 or 200 for that front dw, to bring down the total. But I feel like I under quoted for the back patio.

Uploading…

I think you need to do some research about pricing in your area. Eyeballing a job is not the way to go. Small and large are words that are so relative they’re meaningless.ok. I want to be more helpful than critical so here goes from my end.My promotion is on driveways and it is $80 for the first 500 square feet and then $0.18 per square foot for additional driveway or public sidewalk area. Other hardscape surfaces like paths patios and things that are concrete typically are between 20 and $0.22 per square foot depending upon a few variables. My market is Suburban Southwest Portland Oregon, almost 100% residential.JimPressure Power LLC

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/11/2016 2:26 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: jimboucher2@msn.com
Subject: [Pressure Washing Resource] [Residential] Just went and surveyed my 2nd job, I feel like I screwed up

Hey guys, well I just got into pressure washing and just got my second customer.

The guys house was basically a mansion, I felt like I could handle it in either one very long day, possibly two days. He had a huge front wraparound driveway, then a regular driveway off on the side, then a huge driveway 3x the size of the regular driveway. Okay, over the fence, he had a 2nd dwelling with another driveway, and a back patio that was equivalent to a little more area than the huge driveway.

I wrote the estimate as follows.

front-300 (I feel like I should’ve told him 225 for this front area, but once you go down you can’t go back up)
side driveway small (95.00)
side driveway huge (250.00)
2nd dwelling driveway (95.00)
back patio (300.00)

Grand total = 1040.00
10% discount because “I would like your business, sir” = -104.00
=936.00

He said he didn’t think it’d be almost a thousand dollars to pressure wash his stuff, but said he knew he had a lot of area to cover. He said he’d call me back tomorrow evening at the latest and let me do a little bit of it, so he could see how good my work is, before anything else. I’m afraid that the guy used me for an estimate. Like a dumbass, I offered a free estimate 40min one way away from home.

Live and learn I guess. Maybe I’ll get lucky. I’m fighting the urge to tell him 225 or 200 for that front dw, to bring down the total. But I feel like I under quoted for the back patio.

Uploading…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here.

To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences.

Well you cant win them all.,sorry…youll get them next time…
Im new myself but a couple things i may suggest…1st. in your estimate, use approx. Sq.ft numbers, and also showing your price per Sq. Ft. you charge , it would be alot more professional than using words like small or huge …
2nd…you can save yourself a long drive sometime by using google maps…i go to the satelite view and can usually see everything very well…at least enough to make a good educated estimate…

1 Like

In case you didn’t know…

Go to Google Maps and find the address. Go to earth view and zoom in all the way, don’t go to street view though. Right click and a pop up menu will come up and you have an option to measure, click a point than the next and so on to get measurements. Here’s a sample

But if at all possible walk t it out and measure it, $40.00 measure wheel from Home Depot or Lowes. I do the Google thing and have numbers before I ever go to bid a job, but walk and measure to confirm. That verifies it and shows customer a level of professionalism.

Joseph

Hey Dude, first thing is to congratulate yourself on getting the estimate - that’s very hard when you are the new kid. Plus, the owner didn’t dismiss you & your price immediately, so you must have come across pretty well.

Pricing takes a lot of years practice - going with a standard rate (with minimum) is a great start - but there are many things that can make a job slower or easier (square areas, like carparks, are quicker than long thin areas, like paths; is the concrete smooth surfaced or exposed aggregate; how much pre or post treatment is needed; are there trees overhanging which drop leaves and cause tannin stains and extra mould/moss growth; drainage; access, distance from vehicle…)

As for the price you gave… without seeing the job or knowing the area… you’re probably ok. And spending 2 hours to not get 2 days work, well, it happens. Just call it “experience”, no one gets every job.

While you’re new doing on site estimates is a great way to get to know jobs and clients, plus the questions to ask/things to look out for - it’s also something that sets you apart from most others. Later you can use google satellite and street view.

Cheers

John

1 Like

I forgot to mention that part of using google maps…thanks for describing how to use it too.
Its a great tool…

As someone else stated use sqft numbers small and huge mean different things to everybody.
Personally i would not lower your price, at least for me and the price might have been too low. Also you said the guy has a mansion, probably has some nice AMG, range rover ect. They can afford to spend a thousand, it annoys the crap out of me when they try to nickel and dime me over 50 buck.

That being said some people cant actually afford your services at your price so they will try to get it cheaper these are not your customers.
Some people can afford your service but havent found the value in what your selling, so will try to get it cheaper. These are you customers you just have to become a better salesman and show/explain them what all they are getting.
I do all my house wash estimates in person but driveways i can do over the phone. That being said on larger project i do like to see what i will be dealing with because ive screwed my self not looking first and it ended up being a headache.

Also even though he said he would call you, i would call him and follow up. If you feel you have to lower your price, the way i found to be best with out looking like a sell out is to offer to take off a $100 if he books right now over the phone. It puts them under a little pressure to say yes.

Wow. Thanks for all the responses!

JohnAEC, I appreciate the encouragement and that post was very informative.
PPLLC, Very good points. I appreciate the honest criticism, you’re 100% right.
Donte,- You were right on the money and good ideas on offering the -100
AcadianaHydroKleen, Squaredaway - google maps…the aspiring pressure washer’s best friend! ~

The truth of the matter is, fellas, I think I underbid that job! I did my calculations out to .18 cents per square foot, which is 8 cents lower than .26 cents, which is the lowest price per square foot on homevyse.

The front driveway is 3,272 square feet. That’s 588 dollars, I quoted him 300.
Side large driveway was 1866 square ft. Comes out to 335 and change. I quoted him 250.
Side small driveway was 922.67 sq ft, comes out to 166. I quoted 95.
Back patio was 1240 sq ft, I quoted him 300 but the actual price was 223.20. However there required lots of extra work back there for some oil stains and just horrendous, filthy concrete in general that probably was going to require going over a bunch.

and the tiny back driveway came out to 88 bucks and I quoted him 95.

So, the full price at .18 cents a squre foot came out to 1404.00…I quoted him 936, then adjusted that price last night to 823 and he still hasn’t accepted the deal. I’m working for .10 cents a square foot. Damn.

If you do get the job just do it and forget about the price - but use it as a data gathering exercise; how long to set up/break down equipment, how long for the actual “work”, how much chemical, how much fuel, how long talking with the customer… all these are needed for you to work out “your” price, plus think of ways you could set-up your current equipment to be faster, what other equipment is needed for a better/faster job.

John

3 Likes

Thanks John. I’ve been so busy taking out wet insulation the last two days I haven’t had a break to sit and even think about power washing. However my skid, pump and 15hp lifan all came in. I’ll assemble it after I do this drywall work at the ol man’s house. Helping out the folks . They had 8 inches of water in their house and I wasn’t anywhere near here to help them. I’ve never felt so helpless in my entire life. Well, gonna make up for not being here and get em right. Mom is freaked, but in a week or so things will be ok.

If any of you were hit by the flood just remember, it’s just a test that can only make you stronger. Like, it’s good for my family’s bond, plus I’m becoming a drywall removal expert. Gotta stay positive. On a side note I just did a house for 800 three days before the flood and he wants it done again . Repeat business.

Norman

Watch “FLOOD REPAIRS (DAY 2 VIDEO 1) MR QUALITY PRESSURE WASHING DENHAM SPRINGS LOUISIANA” on YouTube

Norman, I hope ALL your people come through this flood in the best condition possible! Great talking with you last weekend. Wishing you all the best during this challenging moment in time.

Best wishes,
Ruth
(the Other Lagniappe!!)

In Florida,
I’m plenty happy with 10 cents a foot.
I lost a big job once where the lady said they were strictly going
with the lowest bid so I came in at 8 cents.
Get your per foot price worked out, give your prices to customers,
(leave a little wiggle room if they want to call and negotiate),
and then forget about them. If they call, they call.
You will sleep better. Good luck.

I love to have this to figure sq ft… bought this at a yard sale $20 a few years back
Maps are good but to exact measure is even better.

1 Like

If I tried to charge .18 cents per drive way I would never get a job here where I am at. My drive way is 1000 sq ft give or take, that’s a typical two car driveway around here. That’s $180.00 for one hour work… aint going happen… I would never get a job, my competitors would love for me to run around telling people $180 for there driveway… lol I never really do the sq ft thing, but I guess I work for about .10 to .08 when I stop and think about it.

Strangely, the August flood was a blessing in disguise for me. I have more skills as a result of it and me and my family are closer. Made a pretty good living since then, but the real blessing has been getting close to my father while I work on his house. I think my mother has dementia, we aren’t sure - and I am always in their corner - but I know something isn’t right, but she won’t goto the Dr and sits around playing tetris all day on an ipad…Won’t listen to me, wont try turmeric,piracetam,gingko…stubborn as i am. save the sorries don’t want em. It’s part of life, it’s done. Anyway, They only got a foot. I am still in the process of fixing up my parents house for them, I wasn’t about to let a contractor take advantage of them. I’m ashamed that I haven’t finished yet but dad told me to go after the money - finally , I told him after that apartment staircase paint job , I’ll finish the house.

They tried to pay me (shakes head) but I refused it. I put em thru hell when I was a kid, but they had my back. They’re straight and narrow. Wouldn’t even let me convince him to take a bullshit invoice for his tax return. He was totally honest on his fema application and hasn’t been paid any relief yet. He eventually insisted on paying half of my student loan. I just agreed to keep his blood pressure low. He thinks that he needs to pay me because my sister is a bit of a greedy, dark individual and has put him through the ringer, so he thinks he needs to pay me.

What he isn’t remembering is that he’s already paid me. in my early 20s, i got involved with a girl from new iberia, I got into it with her ex bf. Ended up with a misdemeanor charge, cooling my heels in that swamp jail. It’s pretty unique, and old, I think it’s either under or above the courthouse. The cell I spent three nights in had six guys, 4 black, me and a mexican dude. There was an unhealthy lack of light, but everyone was cordial and nobody ever spoke an angry or obnoxious tone. The food was the worst. I’ll never forget . The juice packets…we got packets for juice instead of water. They tasted like a tub of pepto bismol that had been farted in. Anyway, my point is that it wasn’t that bad. He came and bailed me outta jail in new iberia. I told him I only had ten days in jail , but he drove out there on a Saturday morning (2hr one way) got there at the Crack of dawn. I guess even if your kid tells you they’re okay and not to worry , I guess if they’re in the clink, it must be hard to relax if youre really in their corner

So that’s why it’s free.

So, I got a drywall job doing a guys house who really didn’t care how it looked, for cheap - I did his house and learned on it and am going to finish my parents entire house - follow the progress on youtube if you want.

1ST DRYWALL CLOSET TEXTURED AND PRIMED

I just got a tripod and am going to make some cool time accelerated videos in a day or so. I’m actually about to go get started on a tape coat right now. I know my work isn’t that great, but you gotta start somewhere with stuff like this. Drywall is like running conduit. You’re going to mess up a good bit of it when you learn, but once you get the hang of it, just kinda clicks and before you know it , you come to work one day and you have 100ft of 1/2" pipe in the air before lunch . I am so slow with this drywall . I am slow, but I think that closet looks damn good for skipping the skim coat .

1 Like