Is this mold or soot, stuck chimney

Any ideas on how to clean it? It’s a low paying job, I won’t feel bad about not doing it.

More often than not, it’s just organic and not soot. Here is one i did earlier today… hit it with about a 4% mix, direct application… couple of coats. If the bleach doesn’t get it, add a degreaser. There was a lengthy chimney discussion posted recently with more info.

2 Likes

"Gloeocapsa Magma is the true culprit that causes black streaks on roofs and surfaces. Other forms of microorganisms can be found in union with the bacteria, including mold, fungi, algae, mildew, lichen, and moss. The main culprit of most roof staining that causes prevalent black streaks is a bacteria called Gloeocapsa Magma. Many of the organisms that grow on a roof, including mildew, algae, bacteria, moss, lichen, and fungi, copulate in the warm, moist environment created by a roof.

Plus, many roofing surfaces are made with materials that can be metabolized by these microorganisms, such as shingles that now contain limestone that algae, mildew, and bacteria will absorb their nutrients and feed off the shingles.
That same Cyanobacteria Gloeocapsa Magma found on roofs will grow on wood, concrete, siding, aluminum, and other surfaces as well. The good news is that through soft washing, these stains/microorganisms can be safely removed! In regards to other possible culprits inhabiting a roof, many nitrogen fixing blue-green algae will grow in areas with little to no nutrients. They are able to sustain themselves because nitrogen fixing organisms have the ability to create nutrients solely through the nodules on their filament root systems. That is why here at SoftWash Systems, we believe that treatment of a roof or surface is more beneficial to rid the source of the staining rather than just blasting away at the surface!"

Found this at www.Softwashsystems.com

The problem as I discovered is getting a strong enough solution on the chimney, and then getting it to stick to the verticle surface long enough to kill the organisms. That chimney’s short enough that you could always use a pump up sprayer to apply a strong solution if you don’t have DSI or XJet. You will need something to make it stick. If you have nothing professional, try Dawn.

1 Like

I use regular mix with 240F water…cimes out

Lawnmower, blower and weed eater. Find a job you can do effectively and you and other washing contractors will be the better for it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, but you are wasting your time. Either put in some advice to the question asked or please do not comment on my posts again.

1 Like

Nope. Do you realize how it looks to those of us that do this professionally when a customer or someone finds crap like this on the internet? Makes all washing contractors look ignorant. How is it a low paying job? How could you even quote it if you don’t know what it is or how to clean it? I wish there was some way to filter who is allowed to post here.

3 Likes

Well maybe if you were smart enough you could figure out how to make your own forum and run it your way?

Edit: spelling

Man just find a job you can handle and stick with it. This is not your calling. On another note, I found an old forum i started back in 2012 yesterday. Tired of washing.com or something like that
New Forum | Pressure Washing Institute - XenForo

Nice failed forum. Interacting with people is not your calling. Maybe a few classes on being socially literate might help you? I am willing to invest some time helping you on this if you help me with pressure washing.

I may not know everything, but I am learning quick and I bet if you took the time to get to know me you may have a change of heart.

I’m content with who I am. This summer you said you didn’t own a ladder and weren’t going to buy one. You are using this forum to ask the most basic of questions that 6 months to a year or researching, hands on and tinkering would have taught you before you started your business. Nothing against you personally. I’ve seen hundreds over the years come and go. Do you really think you are the sparkle guy will be around next year? I try to help those that are helping themselves but I’m not seeing that with you. Prove me wrong. Either way I don’t care but you do make it rough legitimate contractors.

1 Like

edit:

Yes I did end up buying a ladder. I use it for awnings. I am on my way to getting more professional equipment and have taken a minimal investment into a 1k-2k per week business. If I up my marketing budget I will be around 3-5k per week.

As for legitimate, I am insured, carry msds, working on getting workmans comp insurance, running under and LLC.

If I was not serious about building my business I would not be here, willing to meet up with people at conventions.

Ok…

Well what do you need to see for you to help me further? I don’t want to burn bridges and want connections with people who are successful.

Well that’s no fun you edited your post…

Yes, and I did end up buying one. I admit I was wrong. Can we please move forward?

I don’t need to see anything. You seem to be doing great. Carry on.

I am doing well with the research, learning on the job, and advice from you guys on here, but I would much prefer to be in your position. So any advice is much appreciated.

Yep, we’re all wrong from time to time, and more often while we’re beginners. Getting flamed by IBS is just a rite of passage around here.:triumph: It wasn’t that long ago that I vowed to ignore his posts and now I look forward to his curmudgeonly comments. Hey @Innocentbystander, who needs a hug?

1 Like

Problem with that chimney is it looks like the stucco is painted. The mix you need to remove stains may take some of the paint with it. Wet it first if you try and same with the wood next to it. Keep that wood rinsed. Don’t risk a lot for a low paying job and if they want done get some disclaimer in writing.

2 Likes