Is this a good machine

Hello,
I am new here princepowerwashing.com Hello to everyone.

I am a small one man show, I do alright avg about four jobs a week. I want to get a better machine, can someone please give me some input on this one… is it good enough, is it priced to high, is this an upgrade you would make.
I have a 3200psi 2.5 gpm Honda now, take along time to do the job, but when I am done jobs look good.
this is what I am looking at: Dirt Killer H360 3500 PSI 4.2 GPM 13 HP Gear-Drive Honda Industrial Pressure Washer
you can view it at this link:

http://www.sears.com/dirt-killer-h360-3500-psi-4.2-gpm-13/p-07171331000P?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=20&blockNo=20&blockType=G20

thanks for any input in advance

Garbage pump

You want minimum a 4000psi 5gpm machine. I use this specs machine for many years, finish jobs in good time. Honda engine runs forever. Triplex plunger pump. Minimum 5/8’s water hose. Make sure pressure hose rated for 4000psi.
You have to pay up to buy new. If you want to save money and buy used you are taking a chance that previous owner abused the pump or motor or both.

A banker once told me “I can’t afford to buy used.” Very good advice.

thank you for the info, ill look for just what you said…thanks

Here is a similar machine from a reputable vendor Same Machine

Now for the same money you could upgrade your GPM to 8 and have powerhouse but be able to run 2 wands @ about 4 gpm if you get a job where you needed a second guy helping. 8 GPM

414-351-9274 ask for Bill Wilson

I do not work for Power Wash Store and there are several other vendors who supply and support quality products. This was just meant to be a quick example of what a little research can uncover.

1 Like

What are you using 4000 psi on?
If your washing buildings, concrete, or even fleet you dont need that much pressure.

Also for the OP, Once you go over 4 gpm its best to have a buffer tank which means having a dedicated trailer mount set up, so you have to factor in all that cost as well. Also get a gear or belt driven unit so you can pull water. Not sure if you have one, but a surface cleaners is also need for flat work.

1 Like

well I figure many of them you can adjust the pressure, so I would have the 4000 if needed. And so far ive done houses, driveways, buildings and pools/patios… Yes I was worried about the gpm’s not really wanting to do buffer tank at this time. you think 5gpm would be pushing it off a hose?

1 Like

Its generally always better to trade the pressure for more gpm. For residential and even commercial there is no need for 4000psi. The only way that much psi is need is if your running hundreds of ft of hose. Also to get 5@4000 it would require a 16hp engine.
As far as not running a buffer, the max i would go is a 4.5 or 5 gpm machine. It really depends on your area, and what most home spigots put out. In my area some homes cant keep up with my 4gpm machine, then other homes are keeping up with my bigger 5.5. Personally i would run a buffer even on a 4 gpm machine, just for the ease of mind of not starving my $400+ pump.
There is a way to run a small portable buffer with either a 5 gal bucket or 55 gal drum, but thats still more of a temporary solution and its best to just have trailer mounted equipment.

1 Like

I do mostly concrete and parking lots. The machine actually runs 3800psi at max throttle. I do have some jobs where I gotta run 300’ of pressure hose so I like to have the extra pressure.

But you are right, a 3500psi machine would be adequate for 85% of jobs.

Regarding the gallons per minute, you are right again, 4gpm would probably be adequate for a guy just starting out.

This looks like an excellent recommendation: http://www.powerwashstore.com/P/2831/EagleSeriesBeltDrive4.0-4000NoEB4040HA

Get 4 gallons max then. No need for buffer tank in 95% of residential jobs. Commercial never a worry in my 19 years experience.

$3450.00 ? Way over priced !! Holy cow !

man thanks so much for all the input, really grateful… I’ve got some thinking to do, I have wrote notes to all the input so I can make the best decision… thanks!

Get the skid version of this machine:

(Also available here: Pressure Pro - Eagle Series Belt Drive 5.6 GPM @2500 PSI #EB5525HG | Power Wash Store. Don’t want to show any favoritism for suppliers :wink:)

With the money you save, buy a used utility trailer on craigslist, as well as the stuff you’ll need to outfit it with hose reels and a buffer tank. Plan on spending a few weekends building it. You might end up spending a little more money going this route, but you’ll have a very reliable, capable setup for house washing and residential flatwork.

1 Like

yes I am debating which route to go, I have a f250 diesel crew cab dedicated truck. In all reality I can just turn it into a truck mounted system. thanks for the input… you guys are very helpful

1 Like

This is my opinion only:
A truck mounted skid would be awesome BUT then you only have one vehicle. It would suck to have jobs lined up and your truck not start. There would be no way to get all the equipment out easily unless you just have a fork lift. Also its very easy to overload a truck and have too much weight. Water weights a lot so make sure you do all the weight calculations as well so you dont bend your axle. This applies to flat beds, and box trucks as well. They are much more convenient and can be driven if tighter spaces but limited.

Personally i think a trailer is the best first set up until you have more work vehicles. With a trailer, if your truck breaks down just hitch it to truck 2 and keep on going. Ive had to do that and its save me from having to call a customer saying i cant come today, sorry.

Again my opinion, do what works for you.

1 Like