Is it realistic to pull a trailer that can fit an 8gpm machine with water tank and all the necessities with a 4 cylinder truck?

I am a window cleaner that’s starting to get into powerwashing and don’t have any experience with trailers and the professional powerwashing set up.

Manual or automatic? If auto, does it have a transmission cooler?

Either way, you probably don’t want much water in the tank while you’re pulling it. Which will slow you down when you arrive, 'cause you’ll have to let the buffer tank fill a bit before starting.

What type of washing are you looking to get into?

I think it does. The truck came with a tow package. I am not engine savvy at all haha. It’s mostly flat concrete and some house soft washing. I have a 4gpm 4000 psi machine but I would like to move a little faster when powerwashing. Do you recommend 8gpm? Or would 5.5 be enough? I’ve read a lot on this but actual application of anything bigger than what I have is just theory to me.

Also, thanks for responding and helping me out with this. I greatly appreciate it.

Alex, do you clean roofs? Customers always ask me if I clean roofs and I don’t and I don’t know anyone who does.

You’re welcome. I’m really small potatoes at this point. Have done mostly window cleaning for the last ten years, power washing for the last 2 or 3. This is the first year I’m starting to get more serious about power washing. Bought a 5.5gpm 2500psi pressure pro machine, and am in the process of setting up my trailer right now.

What size machine you go with really depends on your goals. Do you want to grow to have employees and tackle big stuff, or just be a little more efficient with the workload you already have? I see 8gpm as quite a commitment to growth. Requires a larger buffer tank along with the ability to tow/support the weight. In my limited market, and with my modest goals of keeping deliberately small but efficient, 5.5gpm seems like plenty. I’m also towing the whole rig with a car (scion xb) :open_mouth:

I plan on adding roof cleaning once I have some more time and experience with regular power washing. It’s a lot to take on all at once.

I feel bad that this forum isn’t more active, as it can be a great resource. You may wish to try posting over at the sister site, windowcleaningresource.com. Much more active userbase over there, and quite a few who do power washing.

1 Like

Oh sweet! So we are in the same boat, you are just a little further along than me:) I am thinking about a 5.5 gpm also. So 2500 psi is enough? I haven’t quite grasped the whole psi vs gpm concept yet. Are you in Lacey Washington? You wouldn’t happen to be the window genie? I seen them hauling what appeared to be a powerwasher in a scion or Kia Soul.

No, that just happens to be my name :). I’m at the opposite end of the continent in VT.

I’ve read here and elsewhere that 2500 psi is sufficient for doing residential concrete, and more than plenty for doing house washing. Commercial concrete sometimes requires a little more pressure.

Holy macral that’s far away. Darn it I was hoping I could pass some work your way because I’m leaning away from higher windows(3rd story and higher). In VT(Vermont?) is there a lot of mold on concrete? Here in Washington state there’s tons of mold, moss and mildew and I finally learned that down streaming bleach and a serious surfactant helps tons before surface cleaning. Maybe you know a better prewash?