Intro and Concrete Question

Hi. My name is Justin and I recently starting a pressure washing business in Sothern California. I’m a full time electrical engineer but have been looking for a way out of a desk job for a couple years now. I enjoy working outside and have enjoyed pressure washing so I thought I’d start trying to get work on evenings and weekends in hopes of growing it into something that could provide for my family still while letting me enjoyed my job more.

I’m starting with a DeWalt 4gpm unit, GP 18" surface cleaner, turbo nozzle, DS, and JRod. I haul all this around in the back of my Prius since my wife and I share just the one car. I also purchased a 1 million / 2 million general liability policy to protect myself, my customers, and hopefully get more jobs.

I’ve had some commercial interest already and Chuck E Cheese had me do a demo for them last night and I had some questions. I understand that “you really need hot water to do commercial stuff” but I have what I have right now and didn’t want to turn down the opportunity. I was able to clean out the dirt and the yellow safety pads cleaned nicely. But what is this black stain? It seemed to get darker after I cleaned the area maybe because dirt made it blend in more? Do you guys think the applying chemical to this would help break it up? The manager is interested in biweekly or monthly cleanings but I’m not sure what to tell him about these darker stains on the edge.

Thanks for any advice!

Grease. They track it out. If you’re willing to take the time, surface cleaner, zep citrus degreaser or @Jordie recommended purple zep, both of which I’ve had decent results with cold water. But you have to scrub it in with a push broom. Still doesn’t beat hot water.

I rent a hotwater machine locally that gets priced in and we do chick fil A’s a few times a month. It more than covers the cost to rent if you’ve got enough to wash and multiple jobs lined up. Call around. It may be worth it to rent one even for this.

4 Likes

@jzbreeland

Hey that is great news on the possible account! From one Prius owner to another, Waddup!

I do weekly cleans at 7 fast foods and I use heat as well as what @squidskc said.

If you can, look into getting some sort of heater, even renting, as Rowdy advised.

Try the purple Zep straight on damp concrete. Scrub, dwell 10 minutes, rinse. You should see the foam turn brown almost immediately.

The beauty of regular maintenance is that you will see the concrete “respond” to the treatments, in that, years of dirt buildup takes time to remove.

Time, agitiation, soap, heat. Those are your friends in flatwork

2 Likes

Nice job on the monthly cleanings!

But can I please see how you pack all that stuff into the back of your Prius hahah :slight_smile:

1 Like

Without heat you need alot of scrubbing…mechanical action and about 30 to 40 minutes of dwell chemical action. Purple power is right around 20 bucks for five gallons and should work good too. Heat changes everything by improving chemical action. Get a good deck brush and spend more time on project and you’ll get good results. It just reduces your profitability on commercial. Without heat it’s hard to compete

1 Like

7 months late to the party

1 Like

Lol new to this forum just not to this line of work.