Hvac system - chillers - cleaning help

was contacted by a local school district to clean out a bunch of chillers for an elementary school. I guess they had some birds make nests in the chillers in the fall and left a big old mess in there… any of you guys have any experience cleaning these things? they said they have not been started up yet so I can do whatever i need to do to clean them. besides the obvious of locking out the power anything else? sealing off the water return and feed? any chemical better or just SH since its a biological ( bird poop)… the units are easily accesible they are on a flat 1 story roof, 100-200 feet from the parking lot, drain is very close.

If any one has experience cleaning these please contact me thanks!

The cooling towers?

I’ve been inside a couple of them.

Close off the return feed, open the drain at the bottom. Wash away. I’m sure they’ll have the maintenance guy there to take care of that for you.

yes its the cooling towers, for the airconditioning units, going on thursday to take pictures and take a look at the scope of work

Cooling towers are relatively simple, you’ll see once you are inside. If I were to clean one I would be sure to document the condition of the plastic material inside to cover myself. The rest of it is a metal louvered box.

I have not faced this kind of situation, but I regularly maintain my cooling tower by a NJ Heating & Air Conditioning Contractor. I have read in an informative post that many people are exposed to Legionella bacteria which are mostly observed in cooling tower, therefore to prevent these bacteria the tower must be inspected, cleaned and disinfected which can be done by a professional technician.