How to Cover an Outdoor TV

Hello everyone. First, I want to say thank you for all the excellent info. A lot of helpful info and tips to make the job smoother. WCR and PWR are great forums.

So, I have a simple one-story stucco job coming up where I noticed they have an outdoor TV in the back. Below is the picture. How would you cover the TV, so you don’t cause any damage to it? Tarp and ducktape over it and not work too close to it? Thanks in advance for your input.

• Sean

I use the big 55 gal trash bags. Slip one over each side and tape around the mount. Make sure it is UNPLUGGED when you wash around it and personally I ask the customer to leave it unplugged for 24 hours after the wash if possible.

3 Likes

Thanks for the idea. Are the standard 1.1 mil. bags okay or do you use the 3 mil. extra thick ones?

Standard is fine since you are not actually going to aim your spray at the TV, only wash around it.

1 Like

Most of your outdoor TV’s have quick disconnects where they can come off the stand in about a minute or so. I usually pull the TV off and lay it in the yard by a orange cone. Once done I just mount on stand and leave unplugged and advise to plug in tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you, @Steve and @AquaTeamPowerWash for the tips. I will grab some trash bags but also try to see if disconnecting altogether is an easy option.

Don’t wash the house until they tell you the tv has been removed

3 Likes

This is probably the best advise, but I have done a lot of them without problems.

Covering electronics is becoming more and more necessary in this type of work. I have customers now who have security cameras in their doorbell which is connected to wi-fi. They can’t remove it, it has to be covered. Yesterday I had to cover 4 security cameras under the eaves of a house. Two of them I had to use a 24 ft ladder to reach.

1 Like

Thank you, @Innocentbystander and @Steve. I have contacted the customer asking to temporarily remove the TV if possible. I explained the benefits and also explained how I would cover it if removing is not an option and that they would need to wait 24 hours before connecting it again. I have added this to my estimate/quote question sheet. Good stuff.

Yep. I hate pulling up and seeing a bunch of security cameras. They don’t like SH at all. But you’re right, starting to see more and more outdoor electronics.

2 Likes

Have the customer take it down. There is always a chance you will ruin the TV. And you don’t want to pay for a new t.v., even though its probably a lower end tv.

Yep. That’s on their checklist.

Take all fabric and flags inside or move at least 15 feet from the house.

Cover chrome grills.

Close and lock all windows.

Pull vehicles into garage or to the front of the driveway.

Turn off any outdoors lights.

AND

Remove any electrical plugs from exterior outlets and put away anything that could be easily damaged.

1 Like

Covering cameras and Ring camera doorbells is lightning fast with XL nitrile gloves stretched over them.

1 Like

Thats a good idea… i just hate having to ladder out.

I hate it to. If I know the house is gonna need ladders it’s the first thing to come off the truck because if I do the junk I hate doing first then I don’t have to worry about it.

Commercial jobs the ladders get locked up behind the property and stay there until the last day. I don’t mind heights, but at 5’10 I hate pulling ladders off the racks. Lol

3 Likes