Hose / gun / machine fittings

From a safety concern (if there is one) , which fitting is better to have on gun - male or female? My current setup has male on gun, therefore female on hose. I just used my buddies whisper classic and he has the female fitting on “gun”. Does it matter? I mean the force required to inadvertently disconnect fitting under pressure would be substantial if not unachievable right?

What’s your preferred setup?

Male end leads

I always put rhe female on the accessories, because everyone always drops the hoses… It is cheaper to replace a dented male end than it is to replace a female end that got broke by dropping it…

What are the potential issues with running the flow in the opposite direction? Reduced pressure? Safety? I have always been taught that quick connects are universal and operate exactly the same in either direction. My understanding has been that mounting the male or female ends on hoses or equipment was a matter of preference, allowable space, or environmental concerns such as dripping, contamination of the fittings or needing to disconnect with a single hand motion etc… I am interested in why the direction of flow needs to go only from male to female through the connections.

I think i remember reading people say it was for safety, so that if you were pulling the hose, you couldn’t accidentally uncouple it, if it snagged on something. Interested to hear other reasons.

Mine are currently all set up with the female end on the hose, and the male end on the attachment.

Years ago engineers in a climate controlled, stress free environment figured the friction loss on hoses and connections :slight_smile: That is why every garden hose, fire hose, plumbing pipe, sprinkler in the world has male end leading. I ain’t trying to rethink that. Run a coupling backward flowing low pressure and if it catches on something it will unhook. I’ve done it intentionally to show my guys in safety meetings.

Only thing that flows backwards for me is at the end of the gun. It’s a lot cheaper to weld plugs together than females for the 3 way nozzle holders.

Haha! You beat me to it, my next question was about the Jrod. Funny, we all have limits to our convictions. Personally I’ll hook them up in whatever way is most ergonomic and makes the most sense to me. I could care less about an insignificant drop in pressure due to friction.

Doesn’t running them male ends leading also keep you from blowing out o rings? Especially with a ball valve.

2 Likes