Honda GX390 won't pull

Hey all I finished a job last night got home went to start it up to wash my car and the rope won’t pull at all. It seems like something is siezed up… I’m not very intune with these small motors any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

It’s a belt driven machine 4gpm 4psi

1 Like

Loosen the belt to see if it is the pump or the engine that is locked up.

Don’t do that. Pull the spark plug and the turn the pulleys to see of it’s locked up. Odds are pretty good you just need to replace recoil spring and be done.

1 Like

Pumps don’t lock up and if they did motor would still turn over and run til the belts burnt up.

1 Like

Assumed the trigger has been pulled already?

1 Like

Sorry all machine pooped on me Friday night so said fuck it and went to the lake haha. Just got back home and pulled the plug and it turned right over with ease but shot all over. Thinking just get new plug and put it back in?

1 Like

It turned over with the pull handle didn’t have to turn by the crankshaft

1 Like

Update:

With the plug out I can pull the handle just fine once the plug goes back in I get a half pull and it’s locked tight again. @Innocentbystander

1 Like

Plug out was to keep it from starting when you were turning the pulley by hand but it does narrow it down to the motor and not the pump. I’ll try to reply more tonight

And not the recoil spring

Got the motor to start seems it was hydro locked. Had to turn the motor upside down to get all the fuel out of spark plug hole.

Now the next problem starts… Started right up on first pull but is pissing white smoke out the exhaust now…

1 Like

That will go away in a bit. From turning motor upside down I imagine. Oil jyst burning off.

You called it back to running normal again after draining the gas and letting everything burn off.

Thanks for the help all.

1 Like

Why does this motor hydrolock like that? It’s storming here so I was changing oils today. Hooked it up it water and same thing. Pull cord wouldn’t budge. Popped the spark plug, pulled the cord slow, and it burped a bunch of gas on my leg.

1 Like

Are you turning off the fuel valve when you are traveling between jobs? If not, the carb will dump a bunch of fuel into the cylinder as you go bumping down the road.

6 Likes

No I am not. Never had to on my other one. I’ll start now though. Thanks!

1 Like

Bingo on what Steve said

1 Like

Damn. I didn’t think of doing that either. Will be shutting fuel off when not in use from now on.

1 Like

Me neither. I never shut off the fuel unless I’m storing the machine for the winter or an extended vacation.