Honda 13HP + Comet Pump - Newbie please help

Hi guys, i need some help please.

I just brought a 13HP GX390 Power washer with a Comet ZD 3540 Pump.

I am new to this industrial gear and have never used it before, i was told the pump would “self feed” from a bowser etc however its not working?

could somebody be kind enough to look at the current setup and provide some feedback please.

Also does anybody have any advice on maintenance and servicing this machine ?

Change engine oil / filter / spark plug
Pump oil change ?
Have i missed anything?

have you set the pressure on the unloader which is the thing with the red handle that should turn???

Hope that works’

Troy Hillard
Wash Rite NZ
www.washrite.co.nz

Hi mate, firstly thank you for getting back to me. What does the “unloader” do exactly, just so i am learning something new ? does it govern the flow of water that can escape through the machine? it also has a small leak through “unloader” water appears to very slowly be coming from inside the piston of that thing, my dad said it looks like a O ring of some sort has eroded,

also when you look at the picture can you explain to me what the pipe that is attached to one part of the machine and bends back into itself is doing? is that a safety over flow? also the piece of hose pipe is that for adding chemicals etc?

It controls the flow of water through it and provides a control to unload pressure either back to your tank or in your case back to the inlet side of the pump. I would get a pro to set the pressure right on it. If its not set right you would get the full pressure from the pump and you will have issues down the track and can cause damage to the pump. Your local pressure washer supplier can do it within 5 min.

or watch these and learn

Hope that helps

Troy Hillard
Wash Rite NZ
www.washrite.co.nz

1 Like

thank you :slight_smile:

G’day Ryan

Does water flow through the pressure hose when the machine is connected to the mains?

That pump is “high speed” pump - it turns at the same speed as the engine (the other type is “low speed” which use some type of reduction system (gearbox or belt with different size pulleys)). This type of pump should be pressure fed from the mains (if there is enough volume), or a feeder pump, or a tank mounted high above the pump.

Regarding the leak - there shouldn’t be any leaks from the hoses, pump or unloader.

The unloader has springs and o-rings inside and the o-rings do wear but this doesn’t doesn’t usually leak to the outside, is it leaking from the top?. The unloader can, and should, be serviced - replace o-rings as needed and lubricate with a water based silicone tap grease. There are also rebuild kits available if needed, but unloaders are not expensive to replace.

The black hose is the “bypass” hose. The pump pumps water continuously and it must go somewhere, either out the high pressure hose/gun or back into the inlet. When the gun is released the water stops flowing, but the pump is continuing to pump water and it must go somewhere, so the unloader reacts to the increase in pressure and opens a port which allows the water to keep flowing (in your machine it goes back into the pump).

What is the white hose that loops behind the machine? Is it a chemical injector?

Regarding servicing -

The pump and engine use the same type of oil (usually a 30 wt non-detergent. Do not use regular car/truck engine oil). Change them regularly.

The 2 sets of 3 nuts on the brass pump head can be removed to reveal the valves which can be removed - these have a plastic frame so be careful - to check for corrosion and debris which reduce the performance of the pump (replacements are available).

The brass head/manifold can be removed to reveal the plungers (there is no gasket). These should be cleaned and lubricated (water based silicone tap grease).

Do you have a water filter on the inlet? get one with a clear bowl to see any debris that come from the hose, and keep it clean.

Fuel system -

Unscrew the float bowl (bottom of the carburettor) and remove for cleaning, plus there may be a small bowl nearby that also catches debris in the fuel line - remove it and clean. If there is a lot of fine dark sediment in these you may have rust in the bottom of your fuel tank - if so, clean these regularly and consider cleaning the tank and even using a liner/paint to fix it.

If you need to pay a shop to do all this - ask if you can watch as you need to be able to do all this yourself in the field and at home.

Hope this helps

John

Hi Jon, thanks for the info really appreciate it. I have 1 more question :wink:

what level should the pumps oil be its looks very low in mine when i look through the bubble

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=2058&g=780773&p=807791&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Historic%20Oils&gclid=CMyNz6Tw0swCFTUW0wodyxkHgA

is the above pump oil ok to use ? :slight_smile:

Sorry I missed your post Ryan - (sometimes) better late than…

The oil should be in the middle of the sight glass, some have a dipstick on the filler also.

That oil looks fine as it’s 30 weight & non-detergent

John