Getting Started, Little Worried

Newbie here, great forum, learned alot already.

My friend has been pressure washing for the last 30 years, I’ve worked with him before, washing tractor trailers, mobile homes, houses and concrete. I thought I was gtg knowledge wise, until I started reading here.

He has a nice setup with a $10,000 hot water machine. He says not having hot water is useless, on anything, reading here that’s not true for residential, but he uses a brush to wash a house with Zep. I just found out about soft-wash by reading here, looks like the way to go for me. He doesn’t know what soft wash is so alot of things I learned, Im guessing maybe wrong.

I was all ready to start buying items, then I keep seeing post about making mistakes, and now I’m little worried. The lady that had the oxidation issue, some of the experienced guys here wont do older vinyl, have to watch out for painted gutters, cameras etc…discouraged thinking “what can I wash”?

I have a new Husqvarna 3300 psi 3.2 gpm machine but I know I need something better. Ill go with the EB5525HG 5.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI GX390 Honda GP Pump to get started. I see it recommended here for beginners.

Id like to wash houses, concrete, decks, and roofs eventually. I have alot of realtor contacts so hopefully that gets me going. Im in Ohio, so not a long wash season.

Sorry about the long winded post, my main question, is it that difficult to know when not to wash something?

Thanks

The only way to learn really is to jump right in. Do your research here and on youtube and you will soon have a general idea on whats needed. Practice on your house your moms house whoever and anytime you are uncertain just ask on this board most are willing to help as long as you done some research on your own first.

1 Like

I just started basically for hire this spring myself. Built my own skid unit with a used 4 GPM machine. I wanted to know and learn all I could about the so called system. You can read post by certain members and cut the BS quick. I understand being new is overwhelmed you but you have to just go out and work. Learn from the mistakes others make and post. Listen to guys who are seasoned. Don’t over complicate it. Good luck

Thanks for the advice guys, there’s alot more to it than I thought!

So the truth is the first few houses I did it scared me to death. Am I doing this right etc etc. I am straight forward when talking to customers and if I don’t know how to do something or don’t feel comfortable I will be glad to recommend someone else. I rather do that than over step my little experience and knowledge. Also, the oxidation issue you will definitely see. That one was maybe different but I just show the customer before washing and explain what it is and what could happen. You will get it!

There really isn’t. Learn what chems clean what, the method to apply and remove them, and take your money. :+1:

1 Like