Getting a little nervous

I’m just getting started in this business, my newspaper ad hits tomorrow and I’m feeling the pressure already (no pun intended). It’s been a long two months trying to do as much research as I can about equipment and washing in general. There’s no one that does pressure washing in my area, so I didn’t have the opportunity to get some experience under my belt. I’ve practiced around my house and deck, but I still feel underprepared. Maybe that’s what I’ll always feel like until I’ve done this for a few years. I think the thing I dread the most is having to turn down a job. I’m sure that’s not entirely uncommon, especially for a newbie in this industry. We are a small rural community and the last thing I want to be known for is doing less than good work. My other problem: already dreading turning down a job BEFORE I even get offered one! If anyone has some good advice or words of encouragement, it would be most appreciated.

“It’s been a long two months trying to do as much research as I can about equipment and washing in general. There’s no one that does pressure washing in my area, so I didn’t have the opportunity to get some experience under my belt. I’ve practiced around my house and deck, but I still feel underprepared.”

You will be fine. You’ve done the groundwork in learning. Patience and common sense will be needed for a while. I never thought of exterior wood restoration as a business and had no contracting experience. 13 years ago, cleaned and stained my own deck. 2 neighbors liked the result and asked if I would service their decks. Then they told their friends. More neighbors asked for service. By the end of the following year, had established a viable business.

What is most important is business sense. Many contractors come and go, having failed to establish their business as a profitable one. I was lucky, had the experience of starting 2 previous very small white collar consulting businesses.

Sharpen your marketing, accounting, and customer relations skills. And recognize what your services are worth. Many fail due to lack of capital and charging too low for work performed.

With wood you don’t ever want “stop marks” in the wood. Always use a pendulum motion with the gun. I always bleach wood before I clean it.
There’s an argument in the industry that bleach is not good for the wood. Or it stays in the wood? I find that very hard to believe and have "never " had any problems with bleaching wood in 13 years. You should never go too strong on the bleach and try to avoid putting too much pressure on the wood. there’s some videos out there that claim you can blast wood with bleach and then collect a check. That’s not how a good craftsman does things. I’ll never adopt that method. Don’t mean do get too elaborate on the answer .But if you plan on cleaning alot of wood. Bleach it with a very mild bleach and water mix, and create a pendulum motion with your gun. Don’t FUR UP THE WOOD ! Or give it peach fuzz . No need to put too much pressure on wood. And as far as the house washing part. That can be easier than cleaning wood. Always start out weak on the bleach and make it stronger as you get more comfortable. Just adding some tips to make you feel more comfortable.