Gain instead of Roof Snot or Cling-on?

I was looking at another forum and a bunch of guys there said they use Gain dishwashing liquid as their surfactant (others said Gain liquid laundry soap :smirk:).

Has anyone experimented with this? If so, how has it worked out for you? (I did a search, but couldn’t find much info about it here)

Sent from my iPhone using Pressure Washing Resource

Don’t use much surfactant myself, but I have heard the ultra Gain works best.

Yeah, lots of guys use it for roof cleaning because they can get it easily and its cheap. They say it helps mask the scent of the SH but I’ve used it and at a 2:1 mix of 12 1/2% nothing completely hides it. Works well and makes lots of bubbles, haha.

All Clean Power Washing Solutions, LLC

Thanks guys!

Randy, did you use the dish soap or the liquid laundry detergent? Looks like both have been used, so I’m trying to figure out which one to try.

:slight_smile:

www.tampahousewash.com

That answers my question! Thank you!

One last question: how much do you put into a 50 gallon mix?

Russ Johnson and Bob at PressureTek have every chemical, detergent, tool, answer and business building product that you will ever need. I get it that it is cool to buy product at the dollar store but I’ve never once met a clerk there that I trust to help build my business. But I do buy all my disposable reading glasses there because Bob doesn’t sell them.

Who do you call when you have an equipment issue? Where do you go when you have a question in the middle of a job and do not know what to do?

As you move into the realm of professional contractor and give up your amateur chemist position, please consider supporting the vendors that support the industry that puts food on your table.

IMHO, all other disclaimers apply.

Hey Tim, I understand your point and the importance of supporting the vendors. I work with many of Pressureteks products because I believe from experience they are top notch. Not everyone can afford to buy and ship chemicals in the beginning stages of this business. And for some guys, a cheaper alternative that can get the job done just makes business sense.

9 Likes

As long as they use the Dollar Store as their go to business resource then I agree 100%. Except he didn’t. Cheap is as cheap does. It is a mindset, a way of life if you will. And I don’t understand it so I try not to adopt it.

That doesn’t make me right, and I do appreciate your participation. I do not mean to discount the opinion/position of other PWRA members.

Just to clarify, I don’t just want to get the job done. I want to do the best job possible. If Gain works as well as Cling-on or Roof Snot, then I’ll use it and save money. If does a sub-par job, I’ll gladly spend the money for superior products.

The only reason using Gain even got my attention is because a guy on the other forum made a post saying that it is the exact same compound as Roof-snot, but for a much lower price. I have not been able to find out much info to prove or disprove what he said, so I brought here, to the folks I trust.

1 Like

There are many people that confuse the act of not spending money with the art of making money. There is a very real difference.

You need to be smart enough to not fall for the trap.

Roof cleaning using Russ Johnsons product pays (often) $500.00 per hour.

During that time, maybe $5.00 is spent on Roof Snot.

You are trying to lower your cost by how much?

Only want to lower my cosy if it’s worth doing. $5 for better stuff beats 3.50 for sub-par all day. Just trying to make sure I am understanding everything correctly…For some reason I thought you had to use an entire gallon of roof snot for a 50 gallon mix…guess I need to re-check my info.

1 Like

That’s another thing that the cheapers don’t tell you. What may take a half a gallon of dime store stuff only takes half of that for the good stuff.

Our base mix is one quart of Roof Snot per fifty gallons of mix.

You wouldn’t use a gallon in fifty if you were cleaning the ceiling.

That’s all I needed to know. A huge “thank you” to you and Randy for the helpful input.

To be honest Atlas, there are guys on the other forums that have used gain for years and it’s their surfactant of choice. For me, it worked fine but rinsing it seemed to suds up more than I wanted so I switched to Cling-On. There is another product guys are using and speak highly of called ammonyx lo. I have zero experience with it but I will try it one day soon to see if I prefer it. Every area is different, everyone has their own technique, some rinse, some don’t… Try it all until you find something you like and run with it.

One last thing then, roof snot or cling-on…which is better for a newbie to start with, or are they pretty much the same?

1 Like

My reason for cling on over roof snot is simply that I was already placing my order with pressuretek and they sell cling on. I have no other reason for choosing it over the other.

Lol. Convenience counts, doesn’t it? Plus, PressureTek is awesome to deal with!