Flooded a house. What did I do wrong?!

I just recently started using an 8gpm machine and was spraying down a two story house and they wanted under the eaves sprayed down to get rid of the spiderwebs and when I was done I found about ten windows that had water running down the insides(I made sure they were closed ahead of time). Anyone know what happened and how to make it not happen again?
I sprayed down the house using #60 orifice nozzles. I’m wondering if that’s too big and I had to put too much water on the wall to remove the stuff and it was an overload of water into the vents? I’m somewhat stumped here(luckily I’m a window cleaner by trade and my customer was as understanding as possible).

Zach,
Sounds more like leaking windows as opposed to something you did. The only difference is the volume applied directly as opposed to indirectly during a rain even a heavy rain. I make it a habit to not shoot directly at windows, doors, vents, or other penetrations. I also ask the homeowner if they have any known leaks and note that on my estimate. I’ve thought about putting a canned disclaimer on it too, but hasn’t been an issue for me so far.

Looks like a good clean job!

G’day Zach - that happens on most of my jobs. It’s the type of window more than what you did.

Those windows look to open outwards and the water will run down the wall above the window, then hit the frame and follow the frame to the inside, then dribble down the inside.

8 gpm is a lot to spray near windows, where you using a “shooter” nozzle? perhaps a 25 degree nozzle would help.

I warn home owners that this will happen and that they should be home with a few old towels to catch the water, many can’t be home so they leave towels on the sills.

Cheers

John

Ok sweet! That makes total sense because the windows that leaked were the kind that crank outwards. The nozzles I was using was a 5 and 25 degree(5 for the taller areas). I was just using the soaper nozzles. I will be extra careful now around Windows. Thank you guys for helping me out on this. I’ve been flustered over this all week! I’m new to house washing so any other advice you have on this I would love to hear!

Another quick question for you guys: when you are spraying awnings(or soffits, I don’t know what they are actually called) is there a tool or technique to keep you from getting covered in bleach? Spraying out all those corners right above me just gave me about a two hour long bleach shower(if I wasn’t bald and had hair on my head I would have been a blonde afterwards!)

1 Like

'Nother window cleaner here :slight_smile:

As far as overhead stuff goes, I just try to be strategic in my order of spraying stuff down. Just like mopping a floor, you don’t want to mop yourself into a corner. So if I’m doing overhead work, I work backwards towards my exit. And then rinse in the opposite direction (working back in), so I only get water dripping down on me. It’s not the ideal scenario of ‘rinse first what you soaped first’, but usually overhead stuff isn’t as nasty and doesn’t need as much dwell time.

Ok thanks Alex. Man it would be cool if some of us guys worked closer and I could come work for you or them for free for a day so I could feel out your technique. I don’t know how guys would feel about basically helping out their competition though:( I’m helping a guy get his window cleaning business going and he will most likely be my competition someday but oh well.

For jobs that just dictate being under the work I have gotten a wetsuit head cover. I have gotten burned by too much bleach accumulating on my neck from working under a very large deck that the bottom needed cleaning.

Dang that’s a good idea! So it’s just a head and neck cover or a full suit? When I was using my older 4gpm machine I could somewhat stay dry but with my new 8gpm it wasn’t possible.

I went to a scuba dive store and just got the hood and it worked fine for what I was doing. I think when it was real bad I put on raincoat so the hood would just shed stuff off me and not go down onto my neck and shoulders. Looks pretty extreme but works.

1 Like

Luckily there is a scuba shop right down the road from me:) thanks!

That giant gap up there in the corner would concern me even doing the initial estimate.

Good eyes! Yeah it concerned me but I’m so new at this that I didn’t know much better.

is that where the water got in ?

I honestly don’t know but it’s likely. I got up in the attic and looked at those holes and I could see about an inch of light coming through it. I did a house on Saturday and in three Windows it leaked like crazy. I sprayed away from them and everything. One of them was like a fountain. I had to put tons of towels on the sill. Now I’m nervous to put water on a house, especially with bleach. Maybe I’ll take a video of my technique and post it on here and you guys might see something I’m not seeing.