Exterior Window Cleaning Up-Sells

So , we currently offer all of the standard exterior cleaning :Roofs, House washes, concrete, etc… and are considering adding an RODI System for a final touch on residential/commercial exterior cleanings. I am in search of any business using this as an add on service (not as main source) to get their experiences good or bad? I do not have extensive experience in window cleaning but feel as though not offering is leaving $$$ on the table? Is an RODI window cleaning for exteriors as simple as it looks? I understand professionals in all types of services make their professions LOOK easy due to their experience. Just would like some professional experiences…

We use to offer window cleaning in house aka I washed windows and did pressure washing. The difference in ROI on my time pressure washing vs window washing was 2:1. For the last year I’ve been subcontracting it to local window cleaners and now exclusively through Kansas City Window Cleaning.

I ask if they have anyone clean their windows religiously and he does the same about pressure washing. Jeremiah, the owner is a saavy business owner as well as a dang good window cleaner. He’s the only reliable window cleaner I’ve found which was the hardest part of subcontracting things out.

We just throw each other kickbacks now and then, but having someone looking out for us like we’re looking out for him has earned us more money with 1/10th of the effort.

Subcontracting window washing is probably one of the top 10 business decisions I’ve had to make.

1 Like

I am primarily a window cleaner by trade and have been doing pure water window cleaning for almost 10 years. If you have specific questions you can PM me or email me or ask on the forum and I’ll gladly answer. To get good answers, you need to ask good questions. Your first mistake is this [quote=“brett, post:1, topic:8877”]
I am in search of any business using this as an add on service (not as main source)
[/quote] Why? Why do you want to only hear from people who do this as an add-on? Your second mistake is asking this: [quote=“brett, post:1, topic:8877”]
Is an RODI window cleaning for exteriors as simple as it looks?
[/quote] Nothing is ever as simple as it looks. Cleaning windows with a WFP is just as or more complicated as pressure washing any particular surface. First you have to be able to identify what windows can and can’t be done with pure water.

Are you willing to practice enough to be great at it? Then yes, it’s pretty simple. Do you suck at it, and don’t care to improve? Then no it will be hell on earth for you.

I’m not sure what answers you are looking for, but spending $1,500 on a pure water cleaning setup and thinking you’ll be killing it day one is the same as a window cleaner buying a new pressure washer because he thinks it’s easy money. How much effort are you willing to put into it is the question.

2 Likes

Hire guys like @Steve to clean windows. It’s an art man. Takes a ton of practice to move efficiently and do it right. Cleaning windows is a lot more complex than you might think.

I was barely average window cleaner taking twice as long to do windows than guys like Steve here who can blow through a house in a quarter of the time and the windows look new not just better than before.

1 Like

I totally understand , this is why I stated I am well aware that the “Professionals” make their professions look easy. The reason I am asking for pressure washers that use as an upsell is just that. I do not want to be an interior window cleaner I just hate leaving money on the table, and honestly I believe it adds a nice finishing touch.I have the staff available for training and feel as though ALL revenues if pursued properly will benefit any business.

If you end up doing it and you’re not kicking yourself in 6 months let me know. I’ll send you a 6 pack of Kansas City’s Boulevard Beer.

We do exactly what your describing. The majority of the window cleaning we do is an add on to a house wash. We occasionally do a stand alone window job. We are doing them by hand still. I have a pending job, windows in and out, screens, tracks and gutter whitening for almost $1k. If we get the job, I may invest in a simple resin WFP just for these occasions. I totally agree though, it’s definitely money left on the table. I’d love to sub out the windows though…how does that work @squidskc? Do you have to charge a bit more for windows or does your sub do them for a little less since you got them the job?

Call this guy, you won’t regret it.

https://windowcleaner.com/people/john-lee/

It’s a beautiful thing. This guy actually use to work for chic fil a and is friendly with two the ones I don’t have. He told them he works with the guy that pressure washes the other local chic fil a’s and they asked him for my bid. If that closes it’ll be worth giving him all the window business even if I didnt make a dime.

You’ll have to call me on that one if you want specifics on how we do that. 816-360-9733. Tomorrow I’m working from sun up to sundown, but if you call leave a message and I’ll get back to you on the road.

Pressure washers taking up window cleaning is like a carpenter deciding it’s time do drive screws with a hammer.

Nobody believes me when I tell them Window Cleaning is twice as hard as pressure washing work and the inside is the easy part.

1 Like

I agree with everything except that inside is the easy part.

Dirty pets, screaming kids, invasion of privacy, moving furniture, blinds, locks, drapes, grandma on the mantle, shoes, drips, chatty customers, ladder work, bickering spouses, … idk, it’s a pain inside.

To @brett point, yeah, it’s money on the table, but you’ll probably make more going to the next house wash.

You have a couple window cleaners here who are growing tired of it and moving more into power washing because it’s more money in less time.

@Infinity

2 Likes

I just meant the technical part. Cleaning a window that doesn’t get blasted by the hard water from the sprinkler, artillery fungus, oxidation, etc and standing on solid ground.

1 Like

This is an experienced window cleaner talking about how he still had to climb the ladder after using the water fed pole.

Oh I learned quickly how hard it is, lol. And the difference in profit margins. Hence why I don’t go at full blast. I’m attracted to the idea of being able to provide a full service experience to those customers that desire it so I’ll definitely hit you up one day and get the specifics on how you have your sub deal set up.

Gotcha. Yes, in that regard they are easier.

You know, you could just charge a premium for the windows. It is saving the customer the hassle of having to find someone or do it themselves. And it is a hassle for them.

Charge $10 double hung outside and see how it goes. Really, why not?

Had to edit that because I dont know your expenses so I cant comment on what kind of profit youd make. But charge a premium is my point.

@timetoshinepowerwash this is kinda your thing too right?

All great points so far.

Personally, my ideal job is the trifecta: gutter cleanout & whitening, power washing, and exterior windows.

But this is due to my level of experience and appreciation for the window cleaning aspect. I really do enjoy cleaning windows. It just doesn’t pay as well as power washing… that is, unless I’m using the WFP immediately following a housewash. Then I can pull a similar hourly on the quick scrub and rinse, as I do with the housewash (typically $150-$200/hr).

But a newbie to window cleaning won’t be able to do that, and they won’t be able to judge which situations require more scrubbing, or even nose-to-glass cleaning to do an adequate job.

There’s a learning curve with WFP. It isn’t as steep as mop and squeegee, but it’s steeper than power washing, imo.

My suggestion for someone who has started out with power washing first, would be to get friendly with a window cleaner who isn’t interested in power washing. If you’re targeting the right customers, the ones who really care about taking care of their property, 9 times out of 10 they’re going to want the full in & out window cleaning. And going down that path doesn’t become profitable until you really know what you’re doing cleaning glass. Jmho.

2 Likes

Hey guys does it matter how elaborate the system is? Is a 1500.00 WTP System less quality of say a 3000. system ? Like in P/W & Roof cleaning, the more expensive systems are ALOT easier?

1 Like

Depends on where you’re spending your money.

Pure water is pure water. You can get it with a simple DI tank, a full blown RO/DI system, or even buy distilled water at walmart. The cost goes up, the more robust and efficient you want it to be.

Spend the majority of your money on the pole. That is like saying GPM is king. Followed by having the right tips and a good DS Injector (aka, brush). It will directly affect your efficiency. You want a full carbon pole from a respected manufacturer. If you’re going above 25-30 feet on a very regular basis, you want to look at the high-modulus carbon.

As you get into doing more and more WFP work, look at the xero pure system or another respected ro/di. It’s like finding a cheaper source for SH, instead of buying the gallon jugs or 5’ers from the local pool store.