Equipment selection

Well as I look further and further into this and read more and more I get more and more confused, sure no ones been there.
I am thinking 4gpm 4000 psi belt drive not intending to go hot water at this time. Looking to start residential and move up to other endeavors, not against doing any of it. I go where the money leads. I figure I will look into a soft wash set up once I get started.
I know post is a little vague but hit me w the good the bad and the ugly. Ideas on equipment selection. I’m looking to get started as inexpensively as possible, as is everyone.
I would say budget is 10k for complete start up, less is better.

thanks all

10 K start up? Call Bob at Pressure Tek, tell him what you want to do,
he will not lead you astray.When order placed, research all you can on
PT State and this site. I can not thank that man enough for the help he
has been to me ! Read do, Read do, it all comes together! Best of luck.

If you pinch pennies I would think a $10k budget would allow you to go straight to a 8gpm machine. Do it right the first time.

3 Likes

Yeah, you could start really well for 10k (as long as you already have a decent vehicle)

Spend another few weeks reading, searching, and deciding what markets you want to specialize in and services you want to offer (for example, no need to spend money on heat if you’re only gonna do residential work)

Instead of a 4@4k get a 5.5@2500 machine(same price), and if you could afford it get the 8gpm. The machine size you get also depends on your transportation situation. Are you going to be putting it in the back of a pick up, or trailer?
Really the best thing to do is spend most of it on “good” marketing. You can have great, fast equipment but if the phone isnt ringing its just sittin pretty.

ok found this Eagle Series Belt Drive 5.6@2500 so it would be better option. is there a pump option I should be looking for, I heard CAT pump w Honda motor. I know I want belt drive.
I want to wash houses and clean drives/walks.
with the 5.6 how big of buffer tank ya think I should run?
how big of a surface cleaner ya think I should run 18 was what I was looking at with the 4 gpm stick with that or 20 inch?
thanks

Many say Udor pumps are the best. As far as surface cleaners, this is the one we have and we love it. It’s one of the most popular ones

And many will say 100 gallons is plenty for a buffer tank but there are times my 225 seems too small.

Pump: GP, cat, udor

Buffer: The size of the buffer really depends on weight you can handle. If its going in the back of a pick up then you cant carry a 500 gal buffer. Next the buffer depends on your areas average water supply at the spigot. In my area most homes can keep up with a 5.6 machine so only a 50 gal buffer is needed. If you plan to take on jobs where water is not accessible than you will need a bigger tank.

Surface cleaner: the general rule is 4in for every gal your machine puts out.

What kind of vehicle do you have? As @Atlas1 mentioned, you could have a really complete setup for $10k, as long as you have the vehicle to haul it.

But don’t forget about other startup costs and operating expenses involved, before your new enterprise starts to turn a profit.

If $10k was my total startup budget, I would want to spend less than half of that on equipment. Split the rest between marketing/legal/office related expenses and keep a little in the bank account for unexpected expenses.

For around $2,500-$3,500, you could get the Pressure Pro 5.6@2500 you mentioned; set it up on a single axle trailer with hose reels and a small buffer, and all the other odds and ends.

You could tow this behind practically any vehicle (except maybe a smart car), and make a lot of $$$ before you outgrow it. At which point you could keep it as a spare, or resell it to help fund a larger rig.

Exhibit A:

2 Likes

I have a diesel f250 so no problem towing or hauling
and about half of start up funds was what I was thinking. them marketing and ins and emerg fund
thanks all

Don’t pinch pennies when buying your pressure washer. Buy the best you can afford the FIRST time. It will pay for itself quickly.