Employee truck or trailer setup

I am looking forward to the future and really considering how I want to run my business when I get to the point that I can hire employees.

So far I am considering how I will set up my equipment. As of right now I have two options.

Get 5x8 enclosed trailers that are light with two 5.5 gpm pressure washers and have the employee pull it behind their vehicle and use magnetic signs for the vehicle while on the job. The trailers would be wrapped or at the very least have some text on them.

The other is to get trucks and bolt the equipment to the bed. This seems like a better option but would cost significantly more.

Is the enclosed trailer route a bad idea?

By the time you pay them to use their vehicle and put up with the issues that might present themselves with their vehicles, you will be better off to provide your own company vehicle.

Personally, I would not have a production employee using their vehicle…in my business. If I cannot afford to provide the equipment…I don’t need that employee.

But then, I would not be putting someone out in the field using 5.5gpm equipment, either.

2 Likes

The reason I ask is because at my last job we were required to use our personal vehicles to go to business meetings to sell / whatever with clients. Granted we weren’t hauling around anything and everyone had brand new vehicles.

How do you put enough tank in a trailer that size enclosed for 2 machines like that ?

50 gallon drums can stand straight up. I will either have that or a 35 gallon tank. The machines most likely won’t be ran at the same time.

1 Like

3 Likes

Unless I have two employees working at the same time. Was planning on having one hang door hangers while the other one pressure washers and then switches at the next job. I might have them both run only to rinse.

What was your plan? Did you even consider this before you posted that picture?

Employees pulling with their own vehicle wont be covered by INS, even their own personal ins, because if an accident did occur they wont have business coverage.

Thanks,

I am looking into ford rangers for this. They seem cheap enough and can fit all the equipment needed.

I see some decent ones around for about $5000 and white. Looks to be my best option at this point.

No one does that. If you want tons of door hangers distributed, pay a high school kid $8 an hour to do it.

The reason people have two pressure washers on their rigs, is so they can both be run at the same time.

2 Likes

I thought they were for backups. I don’t trust high schoolers to pass out my door hangers. I feel like most would take the money and run.

He ( @squidskc ) is posting pics becuse your so far ahead of yourself it’s making his brain hurt. He’s just too nice to say it out loud. You need to relax. In A few weeks you’ve gone from not owning a ladder to putting out crews. I think you need to slow down. Or at least stop expressing it on the internet.Your way too far ahead of yourself. Tuck it back in scooter.

6 Likes

This for my year plan. I am not hiring anyone for a while. These people claim to research things for years before they do it. What do you think I am doing?

I got a few friends that run service based business and have employees. Most hired them after 6 months of being in business.

I think people here want to over complicate things a bit much. I know there is a learning curve, but wow.

Pissing everyone off… Especially long time veterans.
I’m new here this year but I’ve never seen anyone piss so many people off in such a short amount of time. It’s time to cool off a bit and relax.

If your you so confident in your philosophy and ability why are you on this forum looking for confirmation and advise.

3 Likes

It’s not hard a piss off people who get a chip on their shoulder easily. I am obviously doing something right and building faster than almost everyone else on here.

My marketing is paying off and I am doing very well. I can do that and I am getting referrals.

So what if I don’t know everything about pressure washing. I am here to learn and if these veterans don’t like it, I really don’t know what to tell them other than thanks for the help they did provide.

Here’s the deal: it’s not necessary, or even polite, to make it known every time you disagree or plan on going against someone’s advice.

If you have a better way of doing something, then go ahead and do it, and once you have proof that it is indeed a better way, then you can come back and present your case. But your current method of immediately finding fault and voicing it, before even testing your theories, is just not productive and frankly can become insulting.

I’m not personally insulted by anything you’ve said. But at the same time, I haven’t invested as much time as a lot of the gentleman here in replying to your questions.

If you think a particular group may be thin skinned, but at the same time you find involving yourself in this group to be worthwhile to your goals, then why not take a minute and filter yourself to avoid getting under the “thin skin”. There’s no need to walk on eggshells here, but at the same time, a little thought before posting may help your case.

4 Likes

You sound like an arrogant â– â– â– .

How is saying something that is true arrogant?

Well said

1 Like

You sound like an even bigger arrogant â– â– â– .

1 Like