Dumb question of the day - Trailer Builds

Ive watched 5 or 6 youtube videos on peoples PW trailer rigs, but im still foggy on how the pump attaches to the engine? And how does that vary between direct drive and belt driven pumps? Sorry for the dumb question, im here to learn.

Difference is one is directly bolted to the engine, and the other has a pulley and belts. You also have gear driven. Direct drive pumps turn at higher rpm meaning they cant pull/suck water from a tank. Also because they are bolted directly the pumps vibrate more thus shortening the life. Belt and gear pumps turn at lower rpm and can pull/suck water from a tank and pumps last longer.

Buy a belt or gear driven and be done with it.

1 Like

So i have this pressure washer, which if i understand you correctly, is a direct drive pump.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Honda-GX390-4-200-psi-4-GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer-DXPW4240/203185026

Are you saying that i cant use a buffer tank with this pump?

If you were to sit the tank high enough, it is possible to get the washer to pull via gravity but no, direct drives don’t really pull water like a belt drive washer does.

1 Like

Good to know. I was thinking about possibly upgrading the pump to a TS2021 5.6 gpm belt drive in the future, more of a reason to do so now. I think i read somewhere that it would be an easy swap onto the Honda GX390 that this pressure washer uses.

1 Like

The GX390 is a great motor. If you convert to belt drive, you’ll need to buy or build a different skid to accommodate, like this:

http://www.watercannon.com/p-4797-v-belt-drive-skid-rubber-shock-mounted-feet.aspx

You’ll also need to get the proper pulleys.

Your other option would be a pump with gearbox. I’m not too familiar with them, but I believe they just bolt onto the motor the same as a direct drive. May be pricier in parts, but probably simpler to setup.

@Atlas1?

They do just bolt on. I went from a 4gpm direct drive to a 5.5 gpm gear drive in about 15 minutes. In my opinion, if you already have a direct drive, gear drive is the way to go. Udor pumps are the top of the line and will last forever…WELL worth considering as your next pump purchase.

2 Likes

Can you post a link please. I have a gx390 too and when my current pump bites the dust I want to upgrade to something that’ll pull water. There are several to choose from just not sure which one is the best fit and the best price. @Atlas1

Talk to your supplier. Russ at Southside or Bob at Pressure Tec can tell you what you need.

1 Like

:+1:t3:. This site has been invaluable for me. My first real weekend out I made as much money as my 2 week paycheck from my regular job. I just want to get better, faster, and better known. Thanks for all the info folks.

1 Like

Hello sir,

I have read quite a few post and I must say you are a very knowledgeable guy. It appears a though you have an enormous amount of wisdom in this industry.

I appreciate and respect your comments and advice as I have come to find pearls in your wisdom.

Thank you and keep up the good work. @Racer