Downstreaming a commercial building

Hey guys I’m new here , this is my first post and I wanted to introduce myself and get an opinion on a job I’m looking at. I’ve been washing houses and driveways for about 6 months now downstreaming with a Simpson 3800psi 3.5gpm w Honda motor and x-jet setup. I’m working on 7gpm 12v system as well but for now downstreaming is getting the job done, just taking a little longer. Anyway so I got a call for a commercial job from a local business. The building is made of “split-face cement block” and has black stains that are most prominent in streaks every 25 or so feet. I tested an area on the property that is the same material with what looks to be the same stain using a SH mixture that was from a pump sprayer. I have a picture of that for reference. Give me your opinion on whether or not you think this is the same type of stain, and how hard of a time I’ll have with removing these black marks. Also nothing above the block wall is too be worried about like the blue aluminum type wall. I bidded the job Friday and am hoping to hear back this week. Thanks

Also if someone would be willing to PM me with an idea of how they would price a job like this that would be greatly appreciated. Just out of curiosity and for future reference since I already gave a number.

1 Like

It’s very likely the same type of stain. The question is can you get the same mix ratio from your xjet that you mixed in the pump sprayer? If so, I think your good to go.

1 Like

BJ nailed it. Do you have water hookups every 200 feet? Because if not you better price in 400 feet of hose. lol.

Without requiring anything special, I’d figure out how many hours it would take me and multiply it by $160 (that’s gone up recently. It was $120 when I was running a small machine and hustling like you are).

Figure out a commercial rate that helps you pay your bills, taxes, puts money in the bank to replace that machine, and a little bit in a profit account.

3 Likes

Yea i plan to go hotter on the mix when using the x-jet. I don’t use any proportioner and if I need to will just go 50/50 10% SH in a 5 gal bucket and my surfactant of course. I sprayed it once with a pump sprayer and it ran off the wall quicker than expected so I added more surfactant and did a 2nd coat, then waited it out and actually rinsed off with a squeeze top water bottle lol but after the results I was confident enough to give the estimate. Thanks for the reply

1 Like

Squid yea they actually have two hook ups on each side and I have 200 feet of hook up hose and 150 of pressure so should be ok as far as reaching

2 Likes

With those black stains on that type of material, I usually go 50/50 as well, but I use 12.5%. So for the sake of wait time, it may be worthwhile to consider using 12.5% for that job or going a bit hotter than 50/50 with the 10%.

1 Like

If I may ask a return question, you’re getting calls for commercial in your first 6 months? Are you targeting commercial properties?

Yea this was my first commercial call. I’m not really sure where it came from and I haven’t asked the owner yet. We only spoke over the phone and I left the estimate with her receptionist on Friday. I have a few buddies with landscaping and irrigation companies who refer me and have had a family friend who owns a carpet cleaning & maintenance company refer me for a few a jobs. Nobody has said anything to me yet though so I’m wondering the same thing haha. I do some paid local advertising too but not really targeting commercial that hard.

1 Like

I’d think about just DS the top part with strong HW mix and then hit bottom with a net about 4% mix. May have to hit dark streaks a couple of times with about 10min in between. If you get your 12v setup done before then, will be really easy. DS whole thing, that’ll start softening up, and then come back and hit streaks with a 4% mix with 12v. Easy peasy but will take a little time because with those dark streaks, will have to hit at least twice probably, no matter what you use.

2 Likes

May I ask what you bid for, I am new here and still piecing together my equipment to start but I always wondered in aw at the pricing of some of these commercial bids I read about here.