Does stored diesel fuel go bad?

I have about 15 gallons left from the season in 3 5gal cans.

Stored diesel is kind of a hit and miss. Sometime you can have bacterial contamination, there can be an issue with water in the fuel etc. There is a few things that determine the “shelf life” of diesel fuel. What do you use it for? A burner? I personally only run home heating oil in my burner as it is much much cleaner and a lot less issues. If you use it for your burner, you should be able to mix it with fresh next season and burn it up. The burners on the hot water heaters are not as picky as a diesel motor.

1 Like

Thank you much! Yes, i use it for my heater.

This is interesting. Can you expound more on this? How so less issues?

As being from the North and having grown up with a heating oil furnace (basically the same set up as a hot water burner on the skids). You’d be fine burning diesel, off road diesel, or heating fuel. It can be mixed as well. Just keep the filter clean and look for build up on the electrodes. Our furnace lasted 15+ years.

It is a lot cleaner of a fuel, in the 5 years I have been using home heating oil, I have not had one clogged burner nozzle. Plus up north, heating fuel is cheaper then diesel.