Does anyone market for fall cleanup?

I am thinking about promoting some fall cleanup the seconds leaves start falling.

Remove and bag leaves,
Scrub and empty gutters,
Try to sell a whole house wash.

Anyone else do this?
Any ideas on pricing?

I try to sell gutters WITH every housewash in every season.

But yeah. Gutters are how we’re getting in the door in October and November and then we’re selling wash work.

I don’t do any of that other malarkey though. If you have holes on the calendar might be necessary to market that stuff, but leaf raking… it’s a time consuming, low profit venture designed for kids to earn play money.

If you advertise it, you may lose money.

Everyone I’ve ever talked to who installs Christmas lights from October to January claims they make as much or more money doing that than they do pressure washing. There are a ton of resources around for that,

3 Likes

I’m pricing gutter cleaning and screen instilation at 5 dollars a foot on the recommendation of a friend and booking 3-5 a week.The screens are cheap in bulk and the profit is decent but the risk is too high in my opinion. As soon as the snow starts I’m shutting everything down until mid April.

1 Like

We charge $4/foot to install GutterStuff or whatever Menards has. It’s so easy it’s dumb.

We starting using a 16 gallon, 7 HP metal canister shop vac, schedule 80 pvc (is that the lightweight black pvc? Whatever that is.) with a 180 return for cleaning out gutters. You can do an average house in 30 minutes, charge $100 and no one bats an eye because they don’t wanna get on a ladder. They don’t know until we’re done that I don’t get on a ladder either.

Gutter cleaning is a pretty sweet gig and one of the few things you’ll get more yes’s going door to door.

1 Like

@Sharpe

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/wet-dry-vacuums-accessories/shop-vac-reg-16-gallon-6-5-peak-hp-svx2-motor-stainless-wet-dry-vacuum/p-1444442261413-c-10092.htm?tid=-5959734345823765966&ipos=74

Some pvc pipe, elbows, rubber couplings, and hose clamps with the thumb screws.

$200 and you’re in the gutter cleaning from the ground business.

5 Likes

Let see that setup…

1 Like

I’ll be home this afternoon and I’ll lay it all out.

1 Like

That’s ok for some gutters but it doesn’t blow off the roof or blow the downspouts out.

I’m also in the Loblolly pine state. Might work if you don’t have pine needles

That’s a great idea. What about clearing downspouts? Do you climb a ladder for those?

Interesting.I’d love to see a layout as well.

You can put the same hook up on the end of a blower or just flip your hose around to the back but we usually start by blowing the downspout out from the bottom up with the electric blower. You need an extension cord anyway and stuff always blows out so it’s breaking stuff up.

Also, I filled one length of my owner gutter with cat litter like a crazy person to see if it’d pull it all out and it did.

I did the first test using a $25 shop vac attachment from Amazon. The problem with the regular extensions and the cheap gutter hook from shop vac is that they come apart too easy and you have to go get the hook out of the gutter. They also aren’t very tight so you lose a little suction.

The first shop vac I did it with was plastic and the wheels aren’t fun to rolling around the yard and the footprint is much bigger. Takes up too much space. The metal one has big back wheels.

The motor, cfm, and gallons are the same. Usually have to empty the canister 2-3x for an average house.

See above.

Thank you!

1 Like

First of all, I’m really surprised the forum let me upload that many pics at once.

Second, a few important pieces of info:

The pipe is ABS not PVC.
The hook is glued on to that piece so it doesn’t fall apart in the gutter.
The rubber coupling is plenty strong enough and it’s super snug.
There’s a 3 foot section somewhere but it’s storming and the long sections were easy to get off the ladder rack. I rarely need the 3 foot section unless the gutter is over a section of roof, but if I add the 3 footer I go with hard couplers because I’m paranoid. Like I said before the rubber couplings are pretty stout and the pipe weighs nothing.

I will make a video, but it’s storming at the moment. The first 3 houses I did with I still got on a ladder to see how it worked and worked beautifully.

2 Likes

@squidskc nice set up.Thanks for the pics.

1 Like

Anytime. @Innocentbystander I just tried fiddling with this back blower port for the first time. The one on the old one is just a hole. This one is a pain in the butt. I’ll keep carrying the blower. Lol

So how tall will that thing pull. Average gutter here 25’ or more high.

1 Like

I’m supposed to be in a tree stand today, but… I went to bed feeling like the next American Ninja Warrior but woke up feeling like I had been eaten by a coyote and pooped off a cliff… so I’m making you a video.

1 Like

This a silent film. A tribute to yesteryear. Actually, I’m breaking in a generator finally and I’m a little under the weather. This is a 20 pipe. I don’t have any more 2" pipe or I’d try 25. But I’m 5’10 so if I ran into gutters that high I’d just be at arms reach for the entire house.

@awesomewash1 I unintentionally lied to you here. I don’t advertise gutter cleaning to any customers or even the general public over 2 stories typically, but that makes up 80% of our residential customers. Gutter cleaning is really something I only bring up once I’ve seen the house and I know I can do it in less than an hour.

In Kansas City, 2 stories typically means split level with a basement. Two 5 foot pipes and my 5’10" body with T-rex arms has worked just fine and if not, like I mentioned before, there’s an additional 3 foot section that comes out occasionally. I think I’ve been on the step stool with it twice and only once I can remember clearly.

@Racer mentioned in another post, he won’t do gutters unless he knows he can profit a certain amount in a certain time frame. That’s exactly how we approach gutters. $100 in 1 hour or less or I don’t even bring it up. I’d rather be on my way to another $329-$499 house wash.

5 Likes