Do I have what it takes for this roof?

Hi there. I haven’t broken through to roof washing but a client asked if I could clean the roof on their metal roof of their one story ranch home.
I have:
x jet system
4gpm 4000psi pressure washer
tons of fresh 12.5% SH
simple cherry and the like

Can i do this? Do I need a pump system like the ones I see on pressuretek?

Yes it can be done your going to need 5 gals of HC in your bucket (no dilution) with heavy surfactant to help it cling to roof, don’t shoot directly at the roof just let it rain down on it. A 12V system will make your life a lot easier and roof cleaning with be much faster but I have successfully cleaned a few roofs like this in the past.

I’m thinking you might want a truck wash brush or a soft bristled broom on a long pole to agitate your solution once it’s up there. One or two swipes between each seam could make a huge difference in how strong a mix you need or how long it has to dwell.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but I don’t see any pictures of the roof. I am currently pricing a metal roof job. I’d love to see what the roof looked like before you did the job. I have a recent post/topic up with pictures of the roof I am bidding, with some questions. Any help would be great, as I haven’t done many roofs. Thanks!

You really need a 12v pump to clean roofs. I guess technically it could be done with an x jet but I wouldn’t recommend it. If you do decide to use the x jet put straight 12.5 sh in your bucket with a good surfactant. Ive used roof snot before and I’m currently using dragon grip. I can’t tell much of a difference. Dawn works too but it can be a pain to rinse off and isn’t bleach stable so you’ll need to use it all up that day. Tide is bleach stable but again…it can be a pain to rinse.

What kind of roof is it? How dirty is it? Just black streaks or is there moss and lichen? Where are you located.

I’m in coastal so cal and from what ive gathered on these forums the roofs I get called to clean tend to be alot worse than what you would come across in somewhere like Florida where roof cleaning is more common. Just speculation but answering those questions will help people help you.