Deck won't strip

I got this deck that won’t strip. Owner isn’t sure what type of stain it is, he says he got it at home depot about 4 years ago and it’s a thick, paint like stain. But I’ve got a pound of hydroxide mixed with a gallon of water, treated it twice and won’t budge even with a hard scrub. Thoughts?

Ran into the exact same issue a week ago. Just had to tell the customer I’m sorry and walked away. He told me it was a defective product and there were several lawsuits against the mfg.

If it’s the Rustoleum Restore deck coating, heat should help. I watched a couple YouTube vids of people using boiling water to soften it before scraping. It seemed to come up very easily once heated.

Good rule of thumb is to turn down all request for decks. Do a deck them then they want you to stain it. Leave wood and staining to deck restore guys and painters. Lots more easy money in washing

1 Like

I agree…for all that is worth.

Don’t want to mess with wood…I will do my own, but that is it.

we make a small fortune off of wood. From cleaning to stripping, to staining. I’ll mever give it up. When there isn’t enough man hours, I’ll hire more guys and do more wood, more vinyl, more concrete, more everything. I guess I’m greedy, cause I’m not turning away a single $

1 Like

Just turned down a deck job today. Felt good :sunglasses:

I understand…

But, that is one of the things that I enjoy about retirement…if it doesn’t strike my fancy…I will let it slide.

Oh we don’t need the money eother. I like the money lol

I will clean and prep decks but won’t stain anymore. My profit starts taking a dive once the paint brushes come out.